Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Vulcan has 24,000 miles with the factory ACCT’s. Lend me your ears…do you hear the beginnings of any ACCT wear?

I know it’s tough to hear/listen on video rather than in-person. And my straight piped exhaust introduces more noise/distraction for my ask here. But what I hear is some ticking noise at a very fast rate. I record both the right and left side of the bike. The engine is cold in this video and you’ll hear it both with the choke on and then off. Do you hear anything to be concerned about regarding the cam chain? Are things extra “ticky” here?

I’ve seen videos of the Vulcan 750’s cam chain slapping and making a TON of noise. I’m just not sure if this is the very early phases of cam chain tensioner issues. If so, I’ll replace with TOC MCCT’s before the end of this season. Thank you

·
Registered
412 Posts
I do think I hear a bit of cam chaim noise, for which I would recommend trying the Gambo trick on both ACCTs. You may even feel the issue better while doing the Gambo.

I think I also may hear a bit of exhaust leak but I cannot be sure. I always have a hard time with YouTube videos.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I don’t hear it, when mine went, before they got really terrible, I’d be able to hear the clack when the bike was cold. Leave the bike in neutral and blip the throttle. The clacking to me sounds slightly out of time and is more noticeable as the RPMs come back down. I don’t hear that in your video. These bikes sound like old sewing machines.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do think I hear a bit of cam chaim noise, for which I would recommend trying the Gambo trick on both ACCTs. You may even feel the issue better while doing the Gambo.

I think I also may hear a bit of exhaust leak but I cannot be sure. I always have a hard time with YouTube videos.
Wow you have an incredible ear! A bionic ear! I do, in fact, have a small exhaust leak from the clam shell clamp. When I got the bike I put on new exhaust gaskets, but I had a hard time re-installing the exhaust pipe. The exhaust bolts on one side of the engine are slightly misaligned/crooked. I'm afraid to touch it further/take it off again. It's been like this since 2020 with 10,000 miles ridden since. I don't plan to touch this at the moment. But damn, you have a good ear. :D

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t hear it, when mine went, before they got really terrible, I’d be able to hear the clack when the bike was cold. Leave the bike in neutral and blip the throttle. The clacking to me sounds slightly out of time and is more noticeable as the RPMs come back down. I don’t hear that in your video. These bikes sound like old sewing machines.
I'll check again when it's colder. Today when I recorded the video, a "cold start" in actuality was only like 60F. The other morning it was way colder, like low 50's. And I swear I heard it way more then.

And yes, the sound of these bikes is music to my ears. Especially with my straight pipes. I love it! The exhaust pops occasioanly when upshifting under moderate to heavy acceleration. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Vulcan has 24,000 miles with the factory ACCT’s. Lend me your ears…do you hear the beginnings of any ACCT wear?

I know it’s tough to hear/listen on video rather than in-person. And my straight piped exhaust introduces more noise/distraction for my ask here. But what I hear is some ticking noise at a very fast rate. I record both the right and left side of the bike. The engine is cold in this video and you’ll hear it both with the choke on and then off. Do you hear anything to be concerned about regarding the cam chain? Are things extra “ticky” here?

I’ve seen videos of the Vulcan 750’s cam chain slapping and making a TON of noise. I’m just not sure if this is the very early phases of cam chain tensioner issues. If so, I’ll replace with TOC MCCT’s before the end of this season. Thank you
Mine is making the same noise what was the problem.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is making the same noise what was the problem.
Actually, since posting this a few days ago I actually notice the clacking to be way more noticeable when the motor is cold AND the temperature is cold, like low 50's or even high 40's. So the problem is that after 18 year and nearly 25,000 miles, the automatic cam chain tensioners (ACCT's) are starting to go. So I will replace my ACCT's with MCCT's (manual cam chain tensioners). You can get them on ebay for pretty cheap, but I went with the MCCTs from TOC MFG.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Actually, since posting this a few days ago I actually notice the clacking to be way more noticeable when the motor is cold AND the temperature is cold, like low 50's or even high 40's. So the problem is that after 18 year and nearly 25,000 miles, the automatic cam chain tensioners (ACCT's) are starting to go. So I will replace my ACCT's with MCCT's (manual cam chain tensioners). You can get them on ebay for pretty cheap, but I went with the MCCTs from TOC MFG.
I was going to say when mine started to go, it would clatter on a "cold" start even when the temperature was in the 60s or 70s and would go away as the engine warmed up.

BTW, if you like the exhaust pops on upshift, I tuned my ignition to run -10 degrees during deceleration. It reliably pops on decel now! People behind me say they can see it in the pipes at night.

·
Registered
160 Posts
BTW, if you like the exhaust pops on upshift, I tuned my ignition to run -10 degrees during deceleration. It reliably pops on decel now! People behind me say they can see it in the pipes at night.
How did you do that? Is there a way to adjust timing on these bikes after all?

I'm still chasing my decel pops. The little 'blat' I get when upshifting sounds pretty cool, but the decel popping on my bike has always been outrageous. I've done everything mentioned here for addressing that but am intrigued to hear of a timing option. My coast enrichers are fine, my EGR system is gone and plugged up tight and I've addressed all the exhaust leaks I've found. The only way I've been able to get rid of decel pops is having the idle set higher than 1100. But then I'm basically not decelerating either which, needless to say, can be scary when trying to slow down. 😁

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
How did you do that? Is there a way to adjust timing on these bikes after all?

I'm still chasing my decel pops. The little 'blat' I get when upshifting sounds pretty cool, but the decel popping on my bike has always been outrageous. I've done everything mentioned here for addressing that but am intrigued to hear of a timing option. My coast enrichers are fine, my EGR system is gone and plugged up tight and I've addressed all the exhaust leaks I've found. The only way I've been able to get rid of decel pops is having the idle set higher than 1100. But then I'm basically not decelerating either which, needless to say, can be scary when trying to slow down. 😁
Sticking or inoperable coast enrichers will cause decel pop.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sticking or inoperable coast enrichers will cause decel pop.
Well Spockster, you have yet to be wrong about any issue or question I've raised here in the last few years, so I'm going to stop insisting that my coast enrichers are fine. Besides, I wasn't sure what to look for when I opened them up last time I had the carbs off. Everything seemed to be there and very clean. What should I be looking for next time I look? And is there a way to get in there w/o removing the carbs?

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
Well Spockster, you have yet to be wrong about any issue or question I've raised here in the last few years, so I'm going to stop insisting that my coast enrichers are fine. Besides, I wasn't sure what to look for when I opened them up last time I had the carbs off. Everything seemed to be there and very clean. What should I be looking for next time I look? And is there a way to get in there w/o removing the carbs?
I must sound like a broken record, didn't remember that was you I told that.

The CEs are the round'ish like covers on the sides of that carbs. Two or three screws on them, should be able to remove with the carbs on. There's a rubber diaphragm with a piston in the center. They corrode up and stop moving, or the passages get blocked.

Mine popped after the earshave and coasters done all at once, and it was the first ride so it sat a while. A tank with seafoam fixed mine, but they couldn't have been that bad. Some CEs come out totally covered in crystallized corn.

This is what the coast enrichers do, they richen the mixture during coasting when there's high vacuum. To help prevent popping and to cool the combustion chamber and exhaust.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So after looking at this post, I’m thinking it’s time for me to do my tensioners as well as I do have ticking going on. How hard are these to change? And how is the tension checked? I’m still learning the quirks of these bikes even after putting 8k on in less then a season lol

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you can change your spark plugs you can swap to MCCTs. There are a lot of post about doing it. Cheap/poor guys make their own from the ACCTs, more prudent guys buy them. Either way the swap is easy.

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
So after looking at this post, I’m thinking it’s time for me to do my tensioners as well as I do have ticking going on. How hard are these to change? And how is the tension checked? I’m still learning the quirks of these bikes even after putting 8k on in less then a season lol
Watch Vulcan Frank's video posted yesterday, shows all you need to know.

Just don't partially remove an ACCT without resetting it, if you put it back on it will be too tight.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Watch Vulcan Frank's video posted yesterday, shows all you need to know.

Just don't partially remove an ACCT without resetting it, if you put it back on it will be too tight.

Thank you. I started searching for the procedure but was finding all old posts. this helps a lot. apreciate it

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Same here, I put a ton of miles this season. Yeah, as Spockster said check out my video and reach out via this forum if you have any questions. I don't think this was too hard at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same here, I put a ton of miles this season. Yeah, as Spockster said check out my video and reach out via this forum if you have any questions. I don't think this was too hard at all.
I just checked out the video. its a huge help thanks a ton. Ill be ordering those friday as soon as i get my paycheck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts