Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so as I teased earlier, here is a pic of the job.
I will say this. It was more challenging than I originally thought.
I will do a more indepth write up later.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Ok, so as I teased earlier, here is a pic of the job.
I will say this. It was more challenging than I originally thought.
I will do a more indepth write up later.

YOU PHOTO SHOPPED THAT! No FKN way LOL that's awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
It might actually be possible. The same thing is very common on 1200 Goldwings, someone even has a kit to make it easier. But on the Goldwing there is an easy way to attach the pulley to the end of the crankshaft, and you don't have any oil to deal with. It's also hidden up under the fairing, where it isn't dangerous.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
kanuck, hard to believe you had that much trouble.

I for one, would like to see you list your problems, any perceptions along with any other modifications, etc. Anything you think might be pertinent to repeated failures.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
It might actually be possible. The same thing is very common on 1200 Goldwings, someone even has a kit to make it easier. But on the Goldwing there is an easy way to attach the pulley to the end of the crankshaft, and you don't have any oil to deal with. It's also hidden up under the fairing, where it isn't dangerous.
Yea the pulley bolts to the front of the crank and the cams run off of belts from the crank pulley

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,718 Posts
you are going to put a guard on that thing right?!

dude, that's just crazy. crazy cool that is! lol that's a first!

now, for the 6 million ?.......what about hi-way pegs?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Thanks for the pic. Hadn't thought of a double pulley. A guard shouldn't be too terrible to do, the hard part is done.

The one I posted was a lot larger bike, the guy ran just one belt.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
what alternator did you use?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
my only question is would an alternator like that overcharge our little batteries

it looks great but i figure that thing could run the bike with the battery disconnected

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
I believe they make them single wire alternators as small as 35 amp output too.

but even a 60 wont cook our batteries, because as the voltage goes up, the charge current goes down.

the initial hit when starting may be big, but that should only last a few seconds

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....long as ya add like a 50A Mosfet, would be fine....

....Im thinking now too, for those who've degoated, mount the alternator where that was (bigazz space) and run the pulleys and belts rearward...

...a cool thing to do, would be to hook an old style vertical generator to the ring geaar by the stator...or fix the clutch so its a dry clutch, and run it offa that side....

Could run it as an auxilliary too, runnin off the final drive, but would only charge when moving....

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
....long as ya add like a 50A Mosfet, would be fine....

....Im thinking now too, for those who've degoated, mount the alternator where that was (bigazz space) and run the pulleys and belts rearward...

...a cool thing to do, would be to hook an old style vertical generator to the ring geaar by the stator...or fix the clutch so its a dry clutch, and run it offa that side....

Could run it as an auxilliary too, runnin off the final drive, but would only charge when moving....
The external alternator has a built in voltage regulator, no need for a MOFSET...

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
cool soon as i get some money up im doing this myself i am tired of the charging issues i have the tpe and the mosfet and still not getting the right voltage

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, been reading thru everyone's posts. Please don't jump the gun.
This is NOT a one wire alternator & you do not want one!
A one wire alternator has no shutoff & will drain your battery.

I will go thru what I did later today. I'm not one to teach well.
But I will hopefully explaine well enough what I did.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts