Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Got shop table built..engine is still on the liftstand for the moment though. I got the heads off both cylinders and the front cylinder case/piston is out and the good news is it's nasty as all get-out, but seems to be ok. I'll know more once I can clean it all up. Still searching for the cause of the shrapnel, but it's probably gonna be in the bottom end somewhere. I looked down the front cylinder hole after removing the piston and it's definitely nasty down there and some tiny debris. Tomorrow or maybe tonight's task is to pull everything on the clutch side to get the rear cylinder case/piston off. Then I'll be ready to move to the new table and crack the case.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey Roach and Wolfrv, when you get your engines put back together could you weigh it on a bathroom scale or the like. I know someone asked about the weight for shipping one a few months back, and we had had some estimates of about 100 lb plus for the engine.

It would just be interesting to know what the actual weight really is. Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'll see what I can come up with OlHoss...I may weigh the tubs of parts and total it up or something...LOL! I'm hoping to not have to lift it fully assembled. I'll move it back to the floor stand before finishing the top end so it'll be ready to go into the bike.

I also took some more pics of the valves, cylinders and pistons. Also a shot of my new table with engine up there. Nothing looks bad..just a real mess..but the whole engine is...so just lots of time to clean, paint and restore. Here's the link:

http://s942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/wolflrv/Valves-Cylinders-Pistons/

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

·
Registered
174 Posts
Awesome Roach!! Thanks!! I was wondering about the rest of the stuff to come out of the cases. I also can't begin to tell ya how much these videos are helping me!!

I've got a couple more small things to remove, before I'll be cracking the case..but I'm almost there. My balance dampers were definitely shot..all of them are shattered. And I'll definitely be putting in the new shift rod as well. I'm still looking for the source of the shrapnel..but I'll find it soon I'm sure.

Thx again for all the videos!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Finally got it cracked!! And the really good news is it looks like the only damage is a trashed oil filter screen and the balance dampers. I noticed when I took the oil filter off that it has black plastic shards in it and the dampers crumbled as I took them out of their slots. I don't think I could of managed it had I not had Roach's videos though...I watched them all several times as reference! Thx Roach!!

Here's a pic of the cases:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Having a devil of a time trying to get the 5 phillips head screws out of the case where the oil passages are. The big U-shaped tube and the flatter oil passage plate with the 3 screws. I've got the case on it's side atm and have them in a small puddle of PB Blaster. Gonna wait awhile..but if I can't get it..I may have to call in a buddy with better hands and grip strength than mine. I even tried breaking them loose with my hand impact driver, but no luck.

The other case is bagged and stored till I get on the rebuild...just have a few more pieces to take off this one and I'll be ready to start the restoration phase.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Excellent work on these latest videos roach.
I think the most valuable part of your presentation is showing how to properly use the various measuring tools. Most individuals who are mechanically inclined at all are probably familiar with a micrometer, calipers and feeler gauges. However many new owner/riders here have never seen or used a bore gauge, a dial indicator with a magnetic base, or used a surfacing plate (heavy plate glass mirror with sandpaper in video).

I have some experience, (none on motorcycles though) but am learning plenty by watching you. Looking forward to the continuing series.:smiley_th

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the most valuable part of your presentation is showing how to properly use the various measuring tools. Most individuals who are mechanically inclined at all are probably familiar with a micrometer, calipers and feeler gauges. However many new owner/riders here have never seen or used a bore gauge, a dial indicator with a magnetic base, or used a surfacing plate (heavy plate glass mirror with sandpaper in video).

I have some experience, (none on motorcycles though) but am learning plenty by watching you. Looking forward to the continuing series.:smiley_th
Great videos...please please make videos of your steps for putting it back in proper time...if you went as far as to check timing with a timing light that would be so great....thanks and good luck....

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

Thanks OlHoss,

I'm glad this stuff is helping people out. If it appears that I'm experienced with this stuff, it's an illusion. I am also learning as I go.

Those micrometer scales are tricky at first. :)

ckrockets said:
Great videos...please please make videos of your steps for putting it back in proper time...if you went as far as to check timing with a timing light that would be so great....thanks and good luck....
Thanks ckrockets,

I will try and make the assembly videos as comprehensive as I can. They might not come for a little while though. I do have a timing light. I'll try to document that process as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
SOOOOOO glad I found this. I'm getting ready to tear mine apart for a rebuild (found aluminum and plastic shard on oil screen when draining fluids so I'm sure the balancer shafts are shot). I've never torn an engine apart before, so this is a BIG help. Many, many thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Joshua...you can definitely do this!! I've never torn one apart either..and it's much easier than I thought, despite stubborn bolts! I had same shards you're seeing and now that it's apart that seems to be the only damage. Watching Roach's videos helped me through the tricky parts immensely!! I'm looking forward to his rebuild videos too, although I plan to restore the rest of the bike first and then rebuild the engine last and pop it in there so I'll be ready to crank it once it's done. Good luck to ya!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Thanks Guys, I'm glad these are useful.

I just took a stab at lapping the valves.

1985 Kawasaki Vulcan Engine Rebuilt - pt.13

Does anyone know what kind of performance hit I can expect to take from having a valve seating surface too big? I imagine it comes down to less force acting on the seat due to a larger surface area. More distributed. Therefore a potential for valve leakage?

I'm kind of surprised that a bike with only 13,000 km can have valve seats worn past spec. Has anyone else taken these measurements? Should I be getting these seats ground by my local engine re-builders?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Heya Roach!! Long time no video!! LOL! Part 14 is great!! Part 15 is getting an error on the link here!
Hmm, the link works for me. Anyone else?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Both links work for me.
Good work Roach. I`m going to watch this rebuild series again soon.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts