Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how they increased displacement?

Increase in piston diameter or increase in stroke? Or a little of both.

I'm asking because I need to know which parts of a VN750 motor can I use to rebuild a VN700 motor.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bottom ends are the same, you need the 750 rods, pistons, and jugs (the cylinders). you can also swap heads between the two.
Thanks for the info....

I am keeping it a 700...I believe I've damaged a rod or crank bearing...

So the cranks are the same?

Will all the gaskets for a 750 work on the 700?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I think all the gaskets and O-rings are interchangeable. Someone will correct me if I am mistaken on this.

Crankshaft/stroke is the same. 700 pistons are ~82 mm diameter. 750 pistons are ~84.9 mm.

As I recall, our late, great lance328 posted awhile back that piston rings for the 700 are no longer available.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think all the gaskets and O-rings are interchangeable. Someone will correct me if I am mistaken on this.

Crankshaft/stroke is the same. 700 pistons are ~82 mm diameter. 750 pistons are ~84.9 mm.

As I recall, our late, great lance328 posted awhile back that piston rings for the 700 are no longer available.
That is some sad stuff about Ron :( sounded like a great guy.

The bike only has 10K miles should not have to replace the piston or rings...hopefully....

My balancer clutches went bad and the sprocket ate into the cases filling the bottom of the motor with aluminum shavings, clogged the screen and starved the bearings for oil...

·
Registered
245 Posts
bottom ends are the same, you need the 750 rods, pistons, and jugs (the cylinders). you can also swap heads between the two.
Are you sure about the connecting rods? If it was simply a bore increase, then there's a very good chance that the only differences would be the cylinders and pistons/rings.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just checked Bikebandit. Connecting rods for both the 700 and 750 have the same part numbers... so they are interchangable. It looks like upgrading may just be a piston/cylinder swap.

The parts diagrams on Bike Bandit and at Cheap Cycle Parts is often very handy for seeing how things go together, and for doing research such as this.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1985-kawasaki-vulcan-700-vn700a1-us/o/m4521#sch42816

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2005-kawasaki-vulcan-750-vn750-a21/o/m4526#sch309969

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts