Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a nice 2004 vulcan 800 classic.. with the wide front tire.. man it looked nice.. Any difference ..any opinions?

Does the 800 have the same r/r and stator issues.. worries?

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Saw a nice 2004 vulcan 800 classic.. with the wide front tire.. man it looked nice.. Any difference ..any opinions?

Does the 800 have the same r/r and stator issues.. worries?

thanks
I had an 800 and didn't like it because of the more sluggish handling with the wider front tire. Nice, nice bike - but it was gonna be the death of me. I'm just under 5' 8", tho', and I know leverage is everything with motorcycles. The 750 just handles soooooo much better!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hrmm interesting.. I think I might try to go test drive one and see..

I am 5,11 and 204lbs.

I have driven some big bikes..

79 goldwing with full dress. Commuted to highschool and work.
81 kz1000

But good point I will check it out..

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I've never ridden an 800, but for looks, I like the 750 better.

As for the stator, as I hear it, most all bikes are susceptible to stator failures (unless they have an actual alternator). Especially when adding alot of electrical accessories.
But where the differences are, is that the engine needs to be removed for our bike to where alot of the other bike just need the cover pulled off.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
The VN800's are nice bikes. But they are not VN750's...
VN800 pro's:
Nice stylish looks
Accessories available all over the place
Looks just like a Harley
Comfortable

VN800 con's:
Looks just like a Harley
Chain drive
Spark plugs on the top of the cylinders - have to pull the gas tank to change one of them
No gas gauge
No tach
No centerstand
No emergency flashers
Single disc on the front brake

To each their own, but one of the reasons I like the Vn750 is all the comforts that came standard on the bike; centerstand, gas guage, full instrumentation on the handlebars, a unique look that does not look just like a Harley, dual disc brakes up front and shaft drive. For it's size, the VN750 is the perfect bike. The VN800 and the VN900 that Kaw put out to replace the VN750 are but poor imitations...

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Very well said, Bulldog!!!.....:smiley_th

mstbone67a, once you have a bike that includes a centerstand, you won't wanna be without one.

Servicing the bike, checking oil, changing oil, repairing a flat, loading the bike up for a trip....all will make you wonder how bikes without a centerstand sell as well as they do!!!!

I refer to The VN750 as "the last of its kind" because there's no other later-model cruiser out there like it that comes so well equipped from the factory anymore. The only cruiser exception to this (that I can think of) is Yamaha's Vmax. But that bike is really a totally different animal from the VN750, anyway.

The VN750 is built for those who "dare to be different" from the Harley crowd.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Good assesment for the most part bulldog but I gotta call you on a couple things. Having both the 750 and 900 I can agree on the looks likes a harley part but the single disk on the 9 is also backed up by one in back coupled with the wider tire will stop on the proverbial dime as well as the 750. I look at the belt drive as a plus as well as higher capacity stator. The 750 does handle better at low manuvering speeds(compared to the classic but the custom is pretty nimble from what I have heard) and is slightly quicker from a dead stop but doesn't have the top end roll on of the 900 or ride quality on the highway. Either way I think the 900 is a hell of a bike as is the 750 and Ma Kaw made a boo boo in leting the 750 die. It was after all good enough to hang around for 20 years with virtually no changes.(and only needed a few minor ones to stay in production for another 5 years)
Forgot to anwer the original ? Go for the styling you like but I would have the 750 over the 800 classic .

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Good assesment for the most part bulldog but I gotta call you on a couple things. Having both the 750 and 900 I can agree on the looks likes a harley part but the single disk on the 9 is also backed up by one in back coupled with the wider tire will stop on the proverbial dime as well as the 750. I look at the belt drive as a plus as well as higher capacity stator. The 750 does handle better at low manuvering speeds(compared to the classic but the custom is pretty nimble from what I have heard) and is slightly quicker from a dead stop but doesn't have the top end roll on of the 900 or ride quality on the highway. Either way I think the 900 is a hell of a bike as is the 750 and Ma Kaw made a boo boo in leting the 750 die. It was after all good enough to hang around for 20 years with virtually no changes.(and only needed a few minor ones to stay in production for another 5 years)
Forgot to anwer the original ? Go for the styling you like but I would have the 750 over the 800 classic .
I was only commenting on the VN800's shortfalls. The VN900 is a decient bike IMHO, but not a replacement for the VN750. It is a much needed improvement over the VN800 though. The brakes on the VN900 are superior to the 800's and I am a fan of belt drives since my KZ440 days. The VN900 shares the same tank panel as my Nomad, and while lacking a temp gauge and a tach it does have a fuel gauge which is a much needed improvement over the VN800. If for some reason I could not ride my Nomad, I would have a VN900LT any day of the week for touring. But even with the Nomad, I do miss some of the toys that the VN750 has...

The one shortfall on the VN900 is the location of the rectifier. One must remove it every time to change the oil. I have been contacted about designing a relo bracket for the VN900. I just have not had the opportunity to really get down there and digure it out...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Not a major deal on the R/R just enough of a PITA to make the job longer.Thats for sure one area the 750 has it better. I also had a 440 belt drive. I think that was my favorite bike of all time(except on the hwy) 60mpg handled like a whisp of air. If you do a relocate post it here or on the BTK boards, you'll be a pipular guy. I wish your LED people would come out with a Meanstreak/900 LED board.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Not a major deal on the R/R just enough of a PITA to make the job longer.Thats for sure one area the 750 has it better. I also had a 440 belt drive. I think that was my favorite bike of all time(except on the hwy) 60mpg handled like a whisp of air. If you do a relocate post it here or on the BTK boards, you'll be a pipular guy. I wish your LED people would come out with a Meanstreak/900 LED board.
I have to get down and personal with a VN900 to work something out on a RR relo bracket. Then I have to find the time, which is in such short supply...

I thought that Clear Alternatives had a Mean Streak board - LED-54-L. Or is this for the Mean Streak 1500? Does the VN900 share the same tail light with the MS1600?

If you can get a housing, I can get you the contacts to start on the path to an LED board. Let me know...

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'll check it again, yes the 900 uses the same fixture as the 1600 MS
Yep, I missed it the first time. Got one on order now, Thanks Evan.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great info all,

Yeah I think I just got vulcan envy! When I saw a newer bike. But never really looked close to see all the missing instrumentation. Yikes.

Yeah I love using the centerstand.. Makes me feel kinda like an old guy..even at 33. Never really thought about all the other bikes at work and that they never used their centerstand duhhh.. dont have em LOL.

I did go to one our local kaw shops and they tried to get me on a suzuki intruder or marauder. Then on a vulcan 900 classic.
I gotta say I don't necessarily love the harley look of bikes. So I liked the vn900 but the seat was not so comfortable just sitting with legs down.. (sure a seat upgrade is due)

My brother just got a yamaha silverado 1100 classic.. I have not seen it but it looks more harleyish.. and of course not a KAW.

I need to get out there and do some better looking.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok.. rode my brothers yam silverado and my dads recent purchase

2001? vulcan 1500.. man that is nice.. but yeah only thing i dont like is no center stand..

·
Registered
126 Posts
HAIL TO ALL VULCANS, these magnificent, reliable, nimble, and powerfull cruisers, deserve a special mention over a lot of other bikes (mostly HARLEYS).
As good as they can be, My guess is that the vn750 did what all the other vulcans could not ever do. Impress for its performance and features, instead of its looks.
As a plus it runs faster than most other stock vulcans. There are a vn900, a 1500 drifter, a 1500 nomad and a 800 in my riding group over here in Panama (we are at sea level) and my 750 is clearly the fastest.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The VN800's are nice bikes. But they are not VN750's...
VN800 pro's:
Nice stylish looks
Accessories available all over the place
Looks just like a Harley
Comfortable

VN800 con's:
Looks just like a Harley
Chain drive
Spark plugs on the top of the cylinders - have to pull the gas tank to change one of them
No gas gauge
No tach
No centerstand
No emergency flashers
Single disc on the front brake

To each their own, but one of the reasons I like the Vn750 is all the comforts that came standard on the bike; centerstand, gas guage, full instrumentation on the handlebars, a unique look that does not look just like a Harley, dual disc brakes up front and shaft drive. For it's size, the VN750 is the perfect bike. The VN800 and the VN900 that Kaw put out to replace the VN750 are but poor imitations...
Not to nit pick but it may just be the older models. But my partners 06 VN800 Classic does have emergency flashers in the same location as ours, just in a polished aluminum box instead of our black plastic. Other than that the 750 is surely faster and better handling from what I've experienced. One little con the classic has those spoke wheels so a bit more time trying to shine it up for special outings, where the mags are just a simple wipe down with a cloth after a ride for me. =)
One thing i do really like about the 800 is the break light. The top of it is clear to allow it to light up the license plate and when you hit the breaks at night your whole back gets lit up from this white zone making it near impossible not to notice the bike, especially if you have some reflective bits on your gear.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I miss the center stand on my 900.I also miss the hazard lights .I 'm kinda lost as to the omission of these features on any serious road bike. The seat was like sitting on a plank untill I added a gell pad.Now I can ride for more then 30 miles comfortably.I'm adding a tach when I get off my lazy butt although with my riding style,it's probably not needed.Style wise I would have liked to have the kawasaki style mags instead of the spoke wheels.All features from the 750 I would have liked to carry over. Just have to keep both bikes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts