Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 VN750 frame but want a bigger engine. This is my first build project and my equipment/tool selection is very limited. How difficult(costly) would it be to put a '00 VN1500E engine in the VN750 frame? I dont mind paying to have someone weld for me but if it's too much hassle maybe I should just get a bigger frame?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Hey you can do anything with enough money. I think it would be more hassle than its worth but that's my $.02. You are taking about some major fabrication work just to mount the engine, then you have to worry about the drive train. IMHO you could just get a 1500 for less than it would cost to swap out.

But if you do it I would love to see it.

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Well, considering that you mentioned that your tool selection is very limited, I would think it might not be the best idea - especially if it is your first build project. Like the other poster said, there would be a LOT of things that would probably have to be modified.

Of course, if you have the desire, motivation and persistence, anything can be done, so don't let that stop you! Best of luck whatever you decide to do. And yeah, if you do go through with it, please post pics : )

AZ Kev

·
Registered
659 Posts
You just need to find an old mid-90's BUBF!

·
Registered
748 Posts
You just need to find an old mid-90's BUBF!
But ya can't have mine!

Seriously, don't think it'll work. The earlier 1500A (BUBF) engine won't fit; the rear cylinder head interferes with the frame, the driveshaft would have to be modified to fit the 750 final drive cuz the 1500A final won't fit the 750 frame, and a myriad other reasons. Could it be done with the earlier engine? Yeah, but not with basic tools and a limited shop.

Like Joe said; get a '95 or earlier 1500A and fix it up, it'd be cheaper--and faster than that 1500E engine.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Always wondered what an inline DOHC four would be like on this frame?

Jon

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
IMHO completely not worth it. 1st, As Knifemaker said you're not gaining performance with the larger engine - just weight and probably lower mileage. In fact, I've checked quite a few V twins in the 1k to 1500 cc range and the HP rating isn't a whole lot more. Torque yes, but horsepower no and many in fact are the same or lower. Top speed... well some are between 115 and 125 mph but that's only because of gearing and our bikes redline somewhere around 110. They'd do more if we didn't have to worry about blowing the crap out of them. But really, who rides that fast ALL the time. I'm known to tempt fate sometimes but c'mon :wow:. 2nd is the swing arm. You'd most likely have to ditch that whole thing and go with chain/belt drive or whatever (Wish our bikes were chain drive). That alone would make me walk away from that kind of project. If you have the 1500 engine already I'd look for a more suitable frame. There's my 2 cents plus some change from under the mats. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
There is no way you are going to get a 1500 engine in a 750 frame. You would literally have to build a new frame, and frame building is not for the inexperienced. It is an art, and requires a LOT of skill. I own a Rebel 250, tiny little bike, very simple, and belong to a Rebel forum. I have seen many Rebel frames destroyed by someone trying to build a chopper or bobber, or a homemade hardtail.

The performance of the 750 and 1500 engines is almost exactly the same, the only differences are the 1500 has more torque, and turns slower at highway speeds. If you want one, just look for one on Craigslist, or Cycle Trader. You won't find many for sale, either people are not selling them, or there are not many left. Remember, that engine had the plastic oil pump gear that caused so much trouble in the Classic, I don't think the failures were that common on the BUBF version.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Remember, that engine had the plastic oil pump gear that caused so much trouble in the Classic, I don't think the failures were that common on the BUBF version.
This is correct up to year model 2000 when Kaw did what they should have done in the first place and switched to a steel gear and before that they replaced a lot of plastic ones with steel ones on their dime,I guess what they saved on plastic vs steel was costing them more in the long run,and strangely enough even with the POG the BUBF wan't as prone to failure as the early Classic's were.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts