Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 750 does not like to start. In fact it doesn't start a lot of the time, especially when I haven't ridden for a while, but also in-between services. When I choke it all the way, it acts like it doesn't even want to start. When I choke it half-way, it turns over, but doesn't catch. When I do get it to start up, it usually backfires. But it also backfires a lot when I take the throttle off on a downhill to coast. I am not a hugely mechanical person (obviously), so I'm wondering if any of the Vulcan gurus have ideas on what the problem might be. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hmm, what kind of battery do you have in it?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I would start with checking the BAtt, go to a Maint free if you haven't done that.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Sounds like a good soaking with SeaFoam might be in order, and - correct me folks if a little learning has gone to my head - but an A/F screw adjustment? That much backfiring sounds like a lean mixture - way lean.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Up here in Vulcan country we use a marine product called Seafoam. Put some in your tank and it will clean out your carbs. Not sure where you would get it, perhaps a boat store?

Also, try a different battery, like a sealed battery. The electrical system on these bikes is lacking and it could just need more oomph to crank it and fire the plugs.

Backfiring could be a leaking intake. Spray some carb cleaner around the rubber boot between the carb and the engine. If there is any leakage, the rpms should increase (assuming it is running already).

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
You can find Seafoam at most major auto parts stores, and it's great stuff to add to your tank on a monthly basis to keep things cleaned out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Suggestion

Boy this situation sounds a little too familiar.....

Yep SeaFoam is always a good idea but also it seems like 99% of my starting problems went away once I changed to a maintenance free battery, and started using a battery tender keeping the bike plugged in when not using it. Now she starts right up. Ohhh yeah.... also based on the suggestions of this board I stopped turning off the fuel at the petcock when parking it at the end of the day. It always seemed before that that the majority of the juice was being used to get the fuel going, now with the tender and leaving the fuel on not hardly any problems starting whether it sits for two days or two weeks.

Just my $.02:motorcycl

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am so glad to read others have the same problem- I am not alone! I got a Yuasa MF battery and ordered a new battery cable coz the old one was corroded and wicking. I'll learn how to install that when it's warmer (it doesn't look to be difficult, but waht do I know?). The friend who found me the bike cleaned cleaned out the carbs and he dumped a lot (well, 1/2 a can) of Seafoam in the gas tank. Now it's so cold I don't think anything could get it started.
My friend also disabled the emission control device because we read that could cause the backfiring issue.
I guess I'll find out if this work has been effective once it warms up here. I'm hoping this bike is going to be reliable as I have NO mechanical abilities at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts