Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the different mods you guys have done to your seats, I've decided to jump in as well.
I'm getting a stock 900 seat today (found it for a steal! $40!!!) and I've got a sissy bar for a Honda Shadow 1100 on the way (should be here Wednesday). I'll post pictures of how it all turns out, but I wanted to give a shout out to Chuck A., Wolfie, and Deviate (as well as many others on this forum) who have done fantastic work in modding their own bikes and are incredibly creative!
Any tips or advice as I go is totally welcome!

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
You fan check out my 900 install from my profile. All I can say is the seat is a lot more comfortable, but is a lot wider than I expected. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Go for it!! You'll be glad you did and so will your lady. Just make sure the backrest is SECURED well. Don't want the passenger flipping off the back. Questions are welcomed. Monday I go back to work (10 hr.s+ aday) after 15 weeks off for knee replacement. Answers may come slow, but they will come.

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Good luck. Never regretted changing out the seat. Better support and, I think, looks better as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys!
I got to work on it on Saturday for a bit but was cut short by a dead battery in my drill and rain the rest of the weekend. =\
It's clearing up today, so hopefully I'll finish the rest of the seat mod tonight and be ready to drop the sissy bar in on Wed when it comes. I'll try to get some pictures up this evening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's where I'm at so far. (Pics below)
I used my dremel to trim down the tongue to fit between the new mount. (I did make my own mount but it was past midnight and way too late for pictures) :zzz:

I was at a loss for what to use to keep the bolts in place (mostly b/c we still live in an apartment and I don't have room for scraps of metal and such) and then came across the idea to use the aluminum from the side of a computer case.
I cut a smaller piece to go between the cushion and the seat pan, and then a larger piece to go between the seat pan and the frame. I then bolted the two pieces together and used a 2 1/2 inch 3/8 bolt to shoot down through the frame to mount the seat to the bike.

I was pretty keen to finish it last night b/c we were expecting rain the rest of this week, so I got a pic of it in the dark. I have leather saddlebags that I'm going to put back on, but I have to wait to see how it will all look with the Honda 1100 sissy bar and what other adjustments I'll need to make.
For now, though, the seat is on and secure.

@Chuck A. I found for some reason on mine I didn't need to add anything to the cross beam behind the battery b/c the rubber stoppers actually rested on the beam. But I do have plans to put a support across the back where the passenger will sit b/c those are just free floating about 1/2 inch above the frame.

The sissy bar is supposed to come tomorrow, and we'll see how much I get done before I have to leave for the weekend. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
from the looks of it, Chuck has the classic seat, same as the one i Ordered without the studs. may set different dont know, yours looks more like a standard version. seat, little narrower possibly as well.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Nice bike pic....very good looking seat ! WTG ! :smiley_th

ps: A do-able night time pic for a future Photo Contest !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@artstoy That's a good call. I forgot about the classic vs custom seat. I believe mine is a off a custom 900, which would explain why.

@WilliamTech Thanks! In retrospect, I should have turned on my LED underlighting for the pic.... something to update tonight. =P

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I love that section ya cut outta the Hewlitt-Packard case, lol....I did the same with an old Gateway !....Nice !!! :beerchug: That kinda stuff is what modding and building is all about...makin stuff ya find or have laying around to work for ya....WTG !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Wolfie Thanks! I'm a sys admin, so usually the more nerdy flair I can slip in my projects the better! And making stuff yourself from what you have lying around is always more rewarding!
This is a little off topic, but I have pictures.... :D
I don't have the other parts yet for my bike, but I still had the itch to make something tonight, so I settled for a new watch. I had a leather band from a watch that stopped working, some leather from an old wallet, and a needle and thread, and a 6th gen iPod nano.....1 1/2 hours later... new watch and band. :rockon:

Attachments

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
There ya go, see ?...thats what we hillbillys here do...thats OUR recycling....I dont think that there's any male over 25 that hasnt fixed an exhaus pipe with an old tomato juice can !....wtg brother....keep on keepin on..... :smiley_th

Im using a chunk of RR track as an anvil, and my old smoker as a forge...."necessity is the mother of all invention"....who said that, btw ????

Was one neighbor in a wheelchair (electric scooter)....but I rigged up an old bigwheel pushmower so he could tow it around behind like a brush hog....the smile on his face alone was worth the effort....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I finished the full seat mod last night and I've got a couple finished pictures (one at night with the lights and one this morning and then one close up of the sissy bar mount).

I'll post my full walkthrough in an album and link it in my sig later this week, but I figured I'd show you guys how it looks in the mean time. =)

Thanks again for all your input! My lady LOVES the new seat and rest! :rockon:

Attachments

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Seat look nice brother...wtg !....went with the blue lights, eh ?....with your paintscheme, I think I wouldda used white....but it works...silver and blue compliment each other....

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
There ya go, see ?...thats what we hillbillys here do...thats OUR recycling....I dont think that there's any male over 25 that hasnt fixed an exhaus pipe with an old tomato juice can !....wtg brother....keep on keepin on..... :smiley_th

Im using a chunk of RR track as an anvil, and my old smoker as a forge...."necessity is the mother of all invention"....who said that, btw ????

Was one neighbor in a wheelchair (electric scooter)....but I rigged up an old bigwheel pushmower so he could tow it around behind like a brush hog....the smile on his face alone was worth the effort....
I think mine is a bean can. Ill take a pic.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ok Have a question, Why is the seat so far back from the fuel tank, will they not come up closer. I like the size of the classic seat better for the passenger, but the custom follows the frame better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok Have a question, Why is the seat so far back from the fuel tank, will they not come up closer. I like the size of the classic seat better for the passenger, but the custom follows the frame better.
Sorry it took a bit to respond. I read that others ran into the same problem and either chose a gap in the front or less room in the back. I adjusted the plastic tongue on mine to sit a bit closer, but didn't want to go too far for fear of not having enough to catch on the new lip for it.

So far I haven't had any issues with it at all. I do plan on adding a back frame piece to support to passenger seat much like Chuck did with his, but with work and life I just haven't made it there yet. =P
So far, the driver seat is noticeably wider and a touch less plushy but overall more comfortable as it gives more room. I'm busy imagining ways to add a bit more cushion but again, time has left me just enough room to imagine and not implement.

·
2,526 Posts
So you guys really think the stock 900 seat is that much more comfortable? I'm probably going to change mine out next Spring. After riding on it the last few weeks, it's OK at best IMHO

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Don't know about a light weight man but to a heavier feller with a wide arss it is a world of difference better. I also did the Spencer foam upgrade and that has been the best part of the seat change for me yet. Took most of the forward push out and has much better padding now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't know about a light weight man but to a heavier feller with a wide arss it is a world of difference better. I also did the Spencer foam upgrade and that has been the best part of the seat change for me yet. Took most of the forward push out and has much better padding now.
@shark88 I definitely want to add more padding! The wider seat is nice but as Chuck mentioned, for a lighter guy, not that big of a deal. The real benefit for me was my wife is now WAY more comfortable as she rides which greatly increases the chances that she'll ride with me. =). That change centered around getting a nice sissy bar and since I was going the custom route, I figured go big or go home, so I changed the seat too.

@Chuck, do you have any details or links for the Spencer foam upgrade you mentioned? I'm currently planning how to add better foam and I'd love to see what you did with yours!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts