Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I plan on changing my seat to the VN 900 one because I don't want the backrest. My problem is that I still want to keep my saddlebags and have the support brackets installed. Is there a good way to put the seat mod in, but not lose the saddlebags? This may sound like a stupid question, but can i just bolt the bracket into the fender?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Here is a picture on my setup with the Honda passenger backrest. it can easily be left off. You will have to cut the rails down for the seat to sit over the top of them. Hit the link in my sign to see how I see my set up the seat and supports. Seat is 100% supported. If you don't support the seat pan ,it sinks in until it touches something when under a load.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
I have a set of throw over bags, I do not use any support brackets and they are just fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a picture on my setup with the Honda passenger backrest. it can easily be left off. You will have to cut the rails down for the seat to sit over the top of them. Hit the link in my sign to see how I see my set up the seat and supports. Seat is 100% supported. If you don't support the seat pan ,it sinks in until it touches something when under a load.
I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the tips

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
No prob. If you use the throw over's just make sure they are centered good otherwise when you get up to highway speed the wind can push em to where they'll rub on the back tire. If I'm going for a quick ride and feeling lazy I just throw em over top of the seat and zip tie them to the seat handle strap. If you like a can post a pic or two with the bags on tomorrow. Peace.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No prob. If you use the throw over's just make sure they are centered good otherwise when you get up to highway speed the wind can push em to where they'll rub on the back tire. If I'm going for a quick ride and feeling lazy I just throw em over top of the seat and zip tie them to the seat handle strap. If you like a can post a pic or two with the bags on tomorrow. Peace.
that would be great. Thanks

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
here they are. to keep them from rubbin the tire i position the center of bags just forward of the shocks, and there are nylons strings on the backside i attach to the frame, keeps them from spreading out from the wind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
very nice Jadabull,how much was the seat

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
I was very fortunate to find it on eBay for $45. The guy had less than 100 miles on it before changing his seat out. Normally they are around $150 and up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
cool so if i want a seat like that what do i type in ?

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
cool so if i want a seat like that what do i type in ?
It's from a vn900 "custom". For a different look take a look at chuck A's bike in the pics at the top of this page. It's pretty much the same seat, but from a vn900 "classic" and its studded. Also the seats from the kawasaki meanstreak look simular as well, but put you a little closer to the gas tank and foot controls, Good thing if your shorter, bad if your taller.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
If you want a comfy seat that moves you away from the gas tank and pegs, you could try a Corbin seat. Pricey, but you can customize the color and materials and add a drivers backrest if you want. I just wish it was easier to take the passenger backrest off and get the same look as the 900C seat. I'd hate to chop up the Corbin seat, but I really dislike having that backrest.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I went ahead and ordered a 900 custom seat myself. I have to figure out mounting though. So many people have done it so many different ways I'm lost at how I want to do it, lol.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I went ahead and ordered a 900 custom seat myself. I have to figure out mounting though. So many people have done it so many different ways I'm lost at how I want to do it, lol.
See if you can find the release mechanism used on a 900 to mount the seat to your bike. If you can get it to work, then accessing the battery area will be a breeze!

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
The way most or us have ours set up you can access the battery quickly. Mine is held on with a wingnut, takes me about 15 seconds to get to the battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts