Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - what would everyone say makes a helmet 'visible'?

Bright colors like yellow and orange? Or the helmets with all kinds of stuff on them (designs)?

I'm still learning but it seems to me the solid blacks, whites, silvers, greys would all blend into the background.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I think brighter colors like white or hi-vis yellow. Designs just end up being a blur. And I say that having a skulls and bones design on my helmet. heh Sitting still, a design may get seen and even get you noticed if it's outlandish enough. But riding in traffic, if they can't see the entire bike and rider, the helmet probably makes little additional impact on you being seen.

But, the brighter your helmet is it can't hurt right?

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
Yep, high Vis yellow, and bright white are the easiest to see in traffic. Graphics act like camouflage and shrink the outlines of the helmet.

Time of day matters too. A bright white helmet is easier to pick out in the mid day sun, where hi Vis yellow almost glows when suns near the horizon.

At night reflective striping is more important than color, but white will still be more noticeable than black.

I know folks make fun of those kids with the tall "Mohawk" hair things glued to the top of their helmets.... But it does get attention.;)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same thought about the mohawk things. I didn't think about the white being visible - I figured it would blend in the background during the daylight.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Yep, high Vis yellow, and bright white are the easiest to see in traffic. Graphics act like camouflage and shrink the outlines of the helmet.

Time of day matters too. A bright white helmet is easier to pick out in the mid day sun, where hi Vis yellow almost glows when suns near the horizon.

At night reflective striping is more important than color, but white will still be more noticeable than black.

I know folks make fun of those kids with the tall "Mohawk" hair things glued to the top of their helmets.... But it does get attention.;)
X2 to what KM says ^^^^^. :smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
My local (35 miles) Kawi dealer has a buncha hi-vis full shells...dang ugly IMO...now, my neighbor, went a step further, and attached tiny LED strings to his, powered by 2 AAA lithiums....when he rides past my house at 4am, looks like the circus is in town...but he's WAY visible at night...I'll stick with my black/flat blacks...I wont be round much longer anyway...may as well look "cool" on the way to the morgue, lol...

·
Registered
6 Posts
i think that light reflective strips need to be installed on helmets if you are looking to do something like this. And with the lot of consideration on things, you just have to pick ones that would look good.

It is not all about being able to design it, mind you. More importantly, it would be about getting the protection that you need to be able to have a safer encounter in the road.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
you need to be able to have a safer encounter in the road.
Could always just pack a pocket full of 3/4" ball bearings, or carry a .38 Speshul.... ;)

...kidding....

·
Just a little mixed up...
42 Posts
Cookie Monster

A young buck around town riding some sport bike has a bright blur fur cover with big googly eyes, a la Cookie Monster and wears a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle backpack.

Corny as it sounds, he is highly visible, perhaps because of the oddnesses.

Not suggesting everyone do this, but if you like.

wow, googled it and cam up with tons of pics...

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
?????????????
...you'll learn the desire to, even if not practiced...search "ball bearings"....lol

Honesly though, for after hours, or night visibility, I like some of these LED accent lights....low voltage, easy to install (they stick up under yer tank), and they dont cost that much (basic range set for $50)....they look hot if installed right, and the side of the bike lights better than any helmet reflector would....
I was sittin at my comp a few weeks ago, seen a guy ride by with blue....not overdone, just engine hilights...looked great, and really stood out....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I put two pieces of reflective tape, about 2" square, on the back of my helmet.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Thats not enough for nighttime visibility...all already have the headlight and tail...I bet many bike accidents are from being sideswiped...

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...good move bro....I dont ride much at night, but them things help 300%...

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
...good move bro....I dont ride much at night, but them things help 300%...
once i get the bike back in one piece and peddle some of the extras from the donor bike im going to rig small red LED strips under the back fender and hook them into the tail light and brighter ones right next to them tied into the brake so it will light up the whole wheel when i brake at night

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
Just wanted to mention to check with your states laws about extra lights and what colors you use. In many states Blue lights are illegal.

Rear facing lights usually have to be red, and all others amber. But again check your local laws. Alot of cops won't enforce these laws to the letter... But there is always a few [email protected]&!? that will.......

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I actually checked on it awhile back...the glow can be visible, but not the lights themselves...so as long as ya recess them, they may bust yer horns, but yer legal....is it worth it ?...as I stated, I avoid riding at night, but may come a time...I wanna be seen....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thats not enough for nighttime visibility...all already have the headlight and tail...I bet many bike accidents are from being sideswiped...
You're right, by itself it's not enough. But I also wear an ICON Motorsports High Vis Vest; I have also mounted reflectors to my saddle bags (red on the rear and orange on the sides).

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
You can get 44" of 1" wide reflective tape from Home Depot for about $1.50. I got some and used it all over my white helmet. It's highly visible day or night. Only problem is mosquitoes seem to love it :(

-Sloppy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts