Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was sitting here browsing for new helmets. I kept seeing various helmets with the carbon fiber look and instantly thought, "My bike would look sweet with that same look!"

Has anyone heard of other bikers covering various parts with vinyl skins to get a custom look? Might be cheaper that painting.

Just a thought I'd throw out there.

Peace

·
Registered
450 Posts
You can do it with vinyl, but it won't be great. Anything other then a flat surface and it will start to have problems. I know a guy that was doing hydrographics, stuff looked great.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
There is a painting process, I forget what it's called, that uses a film that is suspended over water where you "dip" parts into the liquid and it covers the parts with a painted "film" that will not peel up and conforms to the shape of the object.

Oh yeah. It's called "Hydrographic printing"
http://www.hydroimaging.com/

They can make anything look like carbon fiber. You can do camo on guns, wood grain for dash panels etc..

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Actually I have seen a guy do his tank and stuff in the 3M vinyl wrap. Looks pretty sweet. Here is the link. Obviously you could try and fix his problems.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Hydrographics are awesome. You can do just about anything. The problem with vinyl is keeping the design looking right as you stretch it around curves and such. It ends up either distorting or wrinkling. You can try heating it to get it to conform better, but it's pretty tough on a curved surface.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts