Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed the pickup coil mod a few months ago, but never came back here to post/share an update with y'all. I'm happy to share this Youtube video with you because my Vulcan starts up IMMEDIATELY when the engine is hot as a result of this mod. Compare this to before where I would literally crank over the engine for several seconds. What's better...I don't need to blip the throttle when starting. I just hit the start button and she starts up.

It probably also helps that I upgraded the spark plugs to Iridium at the same time as doing this mod. Overall, I'm super pleased with the ease of the job and the help provided here on this forum. I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing this work without the great information posted here on this forum!

Link to Youtube Video

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I too have to praise this mod, I also did the pickup mod and iridium plugs back in April and since have ridden the bike in various temperature ranges. We have already had a bonafide heatwave here in Philly and after a good 20+ mile run the bike will start right up without the need to open the throttle or give it some choke as previously needed. I’m calling this a win. It’ll be in the 90’s in the coming week and I’ll continue to observe it.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too have to praise this mod, I also did the pickup mod and iridium plugs back in April and since have ridden the bike in various temperature ranges. We have already had a bonafide heatwave here in Philly and after a good 20+ mile run the bike will start right up without the need to open the throttle or give it some choke as previously needed. I’m calling this a win. It’ll be in the 90’s in the coming week and I’ll continue to observe it.
I would be in parking lots cranking the bike over and over and often times I'd generate an obnoxiously loud backfire! SO great to have that gone. I won't be able to take advantage of riding this week with the nice warm weather. I'm having some carb work done at Martin Moto here in Pennsylvania. I think a carb boot is cracked because the engine idles high when the engine is hot. In either case, they'll be taking apart the carbs for some maintenance and rebuild. I hope to have it back soon though.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
This is a mod I haven't done yet. Still have sketchy hot starts too.

Frightens the crap out of people at gas pumps if you're not careful. For now I just automatically hit the choke.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a mod I haven't done yet. Still have sketchy hot starts too.

Frightens the crap out of people at gas pumps if you're not careful. For now I just automatically hit the choke.
Frightens the crap out of people everywhere. There, I fixed it for you. ;)

I had a big one happen in a Target parking lot. Sorry! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Just to add to the propaganda for this mod, it was in the mid 90’s with heat indices close to 98 yesterday and took the bike out to handle a few things. The fan was running constantly because it was all city traffic so it was obvious that the bike was thoroughly “hot”, every start was just a touch of the start button, I didn’t even need to hit the throttle.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to add to the propaganda for this mod, it was in the mid 90’s with heat indices close to 98 yesterday and took the bike out to handle a few things. The fan was running constantly because it was all city traffic so it was obvious that the bike was thoroughly “hot”, every start was just a touch of the start button, I didn’t even need to hit the throttle.
Makes me wonder why Kawi didn't simply do this from the factory. Were these Vulcans ALWAYS hard to start when the motor was hot? Like, if you bought one of these brand new back in the day was this a problem? I wonder about these things. ;)

For now, I just love that my 16 year old bike with 17k miles starts better than brand new fuel injected bikes. First crank baby!

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
my guess is even though these issues like the hard starts and stator failures are “common” I’m sure there’s way more bikes that didn’t have these issues and they’re not safety related. So taking that into consideration, was it worth it for Kawasaki to change the design? My guess is no it wasn’t. The solution was simply to replace the 750 with the 900 and never look back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I completed the pickup coil mod a few months ago, but never came back here to post/share an update with y'all. I'm happy to share this Youtube video with you because my Vulcan starts up IMMEDIATELY when the engine is hot as a result of this mod. Compare this to before where I would literally crank over the engine for several seconds. What's better...I don't need to blip the throttle when starting. I just hit the start button and she starts up.

It probably also helps that I upgraded the spark plugs to Iridium at the same time as doing this mod. Overall, I'm super pleased with the ease of the job and the help provided here on this forum. I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing this work without the great information posted here on this forum!

Link to Youtube Video
Don't mean to change subject, but what's on your exhaust pipe and muffler, and what does it do?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I would be in parking lots cranking the bike over and over and often times I'd generate an obnoxiously loud backfire! SO great to have that gone. I won't be able to take advantage of riding this week with the nice warm weather. I'm having some carb work done at Martin Moto here in Pennsylvania. I think a carb boot is cracked because the engine idles high when the engine is hot. In either case, they'll be taking apart the carbs for some maintenance and rebuild. I hope to have it back soon though.
Where in Pa are you having work done. Any idea what they charge to pull carbs to clean and reinstall

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Don't mean to change subject, but what's on your exhaust pipe and muffler, and what does it do?
Exhaust wrap. Used in place of heat-shields to prevent burns and/or cover unwanted or discolored chrome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts