Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My used 03 750 has a vibration that is so bad that it has split my license plate on the bike. I have re-enforced the license plate with another one and it split that also. I think I have a piece of sheet. I have had several problems with this bike. Stator was the worst. The engine runs great. It has me stumped. :doh: Would it be the motor mounts? I don't notice the vibration while idling. Just when I am riding. The mirrors vibrate so bad you can't focus on an object. You can see them coming but can't tell what type of vehicle.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
It's probably the rubber bushings in the balance damper gear. I replaced mine when I did the stator but the first time around I installed it 180° off the marks. The bike shook so bad I couldn't see the handgrips.

If it's not fixed the gear can come through the side of the case and make a real mess of things.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
My License Plate Split, epoxied cracks - reinforced with a 4 bolt Frame.
That was about 600 miles prior to Balance Dampers going/blowing out completely.
Balance Dampers out at 13 K miles ! :doh:
Six Balance Dampers = $40.00, but if they blow out, much collateral damage .....everything thing else /broken parts -engine pull etc. will add up $$$. Search for balance dampers ....
Balance Dampers are under the same large cover and just to the left of the Stator .
WilliamTech :smiley_th

·
4,508 Posts
This bike has about 13,000 miles. Piece of Sheet. Never buy a Kawi again.
...yeah, I know how you feel.

I got over that feeling.... no regrets.

:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I thought the rubber dampers were mostly a problem on older bikes that sat a long time. My '02 runs just like it did 13 years and 84,000 miles ago. I have heard that some of the balancers were not installed properly at the factory. But it doesn't seem likely it ran 13,000 miles that way. I wonder if one of the cam chains could have jumped a tooth. 13,000 miles is about when the cam chain tensioners went on mine.

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
This bike has about 13,000 miles. Piece of Sheet. Never buy a Kawi again.
Then go buy a Harley.
ALL V-twins vibrate. Oddly the VN750 is actualy smoother than many of them.
My bike split the crappy aluminum licence plate too. At 1000 miles on a brand new bike. Back the thing up with a solid plate of steel, and it's no longer a problem.
Mirrors only shook at a specfic RPM. Many bikes do this. Are you sure you have stock mirrors?

Anyway, welcome to the world of motorcycles. Every one of them has some peculiar issue.

Your toolbox lock or door fall off yet? How about your swingarm covers?

"If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out"

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
You mean there are supposed to be swingarm covers?;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hmm, my mirrors are really steady. I was surprised how good they were for being stock. My tách housing vibrate a good bit. Only have the top license plate bolt and I'm good so far. Maybe some rubber grommet dampers?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Gold wing never vibrated so bad the license plate split in half. My Yamaha 750 never did it either. Since I bought this bike I have had nothing but trouble. First the Stator went out. Not knowing it was bad when I bought it. The splines in the rear end was so bad that I had to replace the rear end. The mirrors vibrate so bad that you can't see what is behind you. The front forks leak also. I think I have room to grip Knife Maker. This is a 03 model. I just consider it a learning experience. No more Kawi's.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My Gold wing never vibrated so bad the license plate split in half. My Yamaha 750 never did it either. Since I bought this bike I have had nothing but trouble. First the Stator went out. Not knowing it was bad when I bought it. The splines in the rear end was so bad that I had to replace the rear end. The mirrors vibrate so bad that you can't see what is behind you. The front forks leak also. I think I have room to grip Knife Maker. This is a 03 model. I just consider it a learning experience. No more Kawi's.
I guess that every once in a while a bad one comes off the line and you just happened to get it. However, don't let that sour you on Kawasaki. I have had several Kaws, (4) over the past several decades and they have always been quality machines that never failed to bring me home. Yeah, I did have spline problems with my 02, but that was the fault of the previous owner for not lubing them properly. Hang in there Hombre!

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
I guess it's relative...

I researched here just before I bought mine, totaled, salvage title, dead stator and r/r, toasted battery, dry splines, and I did the balancer as preventative maint. while I did the stator. No regrets. Great running, great handling bike, wish it was large enough for two riders though.

My Goldwing barfed oil all over the back tire, per Honda's 15 year old technical service bulletin, and damn near skinned us alive. I'll never touch another older than 1990.

My Yamaha 750 was a good girl, but maybe I didn't keep her long enough. Gas, soap, and water was all she ever needed.

·
4,508 Posts
....just sayin'

I would suspect /sounds like your (Vibration) Balance Dampers are on the way out...
Mine went out @ 13K.....did considerable damage......requires an engine pull to replace
six dampers = $40.00

:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Listen to newrider do the balancer now before it goes bad we just did mine and she runs fine now and i only had 17000 on mine when she went

·
4,508 Posts
Listen to newrider do the balancer now before it goes bad we just did mine and she runs fine now and i only had 17000 on mine when she went
x2 !

·
Registered
185 Posts
Balance dampers

If the balance dampers only last about 15-17K miles, how long does replacing the dampers last? Reason I ask is I have 12K miles on my 02 and am getting a slight vibration in my right side mirror at highway speeds.

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
It's not the maker that's the problem (Kawasaki) ... It's just the bike YOU bought. You bought one with a bad stator, leaking forks, torn up splines and rather than blaming yourself for picking a dog you're trying to blame the company that made it.. and then condem every other bike they make.

Buying any USED bike is a crap shoot. I'm sorry you have problems with the bike, but you don't put down a whole race cause one person ticks you off right?

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
If the balance dampers only last about 15-17K miles, how long does replacing the dampers last? Reason I ask is I have 12K miles on my 02 and am getting a slight vibration in my right side mirror at highway speeds.
Stock mirrors?

I had no vibes in the first set of aftermarket mirrors, but my second set have a little in them at highway speed. (new dampers)

I think clean, non-acidic oil is key for damper life. My engine is clean inside and I don't think my old dampers were hurt, replaced at 13k miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just very frustrated gentlemen. I guess I got burnt. I have had many bikes and this one is the worst. First kawi too. I know that with this bike to work on the engine you have to pull it out. That is the real bummer. You all helped me with the splines that never looked like they had been lubed. I appreciate that. I am just not a happy kawi owner at the moment.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts