Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My tachometer have a lot of vibrations up to 1.500 rpm. I have replace the BRACKET-METER and dampers, but it dosent help. Does anyone have a solution ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just spit-balling, but my thoughts are:
  1. Maybe bolts holding the tach are too tight? Might want to back them off and locktite them.
  2. Engine might have vibration issues. Does it seem smooth otherwise? Know anybody close by that has a Vulcan? Does yours act same as theirs?
GDI

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
My tach shook quite a bit when it had a broken bracket, but it's steady after a weld job.

Could it be the dampers on the balance shaft?

Edit: Have you seen any rubber chunks in the oil screen? That would be the balance dampers falling apart.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just spit-balling, but my thoughts are:
  1. Maybe bolts holding the tach are too tight? Might want to back them off and locktite them.
  2. Engine might have vibration issues. Does it seem smooth otherwise? Know anybody close by that has a Vulcan? Does yours act same as theirs?
GDI
Hi GDI and thanks
1) I will try that
2) I think that my Vulcan might have a generel vibration problem. My numberplate also vibrate a lot, but not the speedometer. I dont know, if it is normal or not. It is not smooth to drive on. Sone say that it is because of the V-engine

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Spockster
Thanks. What is “balance shaft“ ? Sorry but I´m not familyar whit the term (I´m Danish). Can you find a part number? :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
They all vibrate! Easy and cheap fix.

1. Purchased 4" of fuel line from the hardware or auto parts store
  2. Cut a 3/4" piece of the fuel line
  3. Unscrewed the tachometer gauge cup (single screw in the back of the cup)
  4. Let the gauge cup slide down to enlarge the opening between the gauge mounting bracket and the back of the gauge cup
  5. Slip in the 3/4" piece of fuel line and tightened the gauge cup screw
  6. Trimmed the excess fuel line hanging out of the opening so you can't tell it is there
Tightening the gauge cup screw pinches the piece of fuel line and no more wobble.

Take the remaining fuel line and wrap it around the throttle cable where it rubs against the front right spark plug boot to prevent shorting. Just slice the fuel line lengthwise, wrap it around the cable and let the friction between the cable and spark plug boot hold it in place.

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
Hi Spockster
Thanks. What is “balance shaft“ ? Sorry but I´m not familyar whit the term (I´m Danish). Can you find a part number? :)
I feel like mine is really smooth, but it does shake the saddlebag tiedowns a bit at idle (the ones at the back). The tach etc. is dead steady.

The Vn750 has a weighted balance shaft at the front of the engine to cancel out vibrations. The damper gear on the balance shaft is mounted on rubber bushings, these can fail and cause vibrations and eventually will blow out the case.

On oil changes, be sure to pull the oil screen, if you see chunks of rubber, start thinking about replacing those bushings. Part number - DAMPER ... 92075-1748 and 92075-1747, there are two ridged bushings (shown in the drawing as 92075A) and four smooth ones.

Drawing here: https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b253ff8700223e478e85d/crankshaft

·
2,502 Posts
Haven't heard of this in awhile but when I first joined (a long time ago) there were a few posts on this. If I remember correctly we just took the gauges off and where the rubber mounting bushings are on the inside of the gauges, we just put in some metal washers to stiffen them up.

Reactions: Preben59

·
Registered
322 Posts
Vibration..... oh yea. Three times now looking over the bike before a ride and find my license plate frame broken..... always in the same place! Replace it twice thinking the tire guy broke it. So I removed it altogether, only to find my license plate itself cracked and getting bigger each time I end a ride. Turns out vibration is causing it. Bike runs great, though!

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
Noticed yesterday, at 1500rpm and warming up on the choke, tach shimmys slightly, but the license plate and the saddlebag tiedowns on it are shaking quite a bit. Goes away if rpm changes. Don't see it after warmup and normal idle.

I've also got a chrome license frame, a bracket, and turn signals mounted on the plate, so far, no cracks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts