Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Is it normal for this bike to vibrate some, even at highway speeds, high RPMs? this is my first bike and I know Vtwins tend to vibrate at idle.

rick

·
Registered
802 Posts
This is my first v twin, and I'd say mine is pretty smooth.

A friend of mine and I were shopping for bikes this past weekend, and the owner of a used lot started a VN1600, and it was smooth too.

Then he tried to show off a Harley 1200. Thing vibrated so bad it would have made a novelty toy at an adult store blush.

When I'm idling at a light, my mirrors aren't shaking, how about yours?

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
If your totally new to the bike then I'd say yes it vibrates some. I've never had the luxury to be on another to compair with mine. But I was thinking mine was vibing to much so I decided to check my carb sync. & I was off. Now that they're sync'd I still have buzz but not like it was. It feels almost smooth around 70mph/5000rpm. There's my 2cents.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
You look pretty stock too. Looking at your pic. I honestly can't remember how mine ran when I got it but my mirrors vibe at a light.

·
Registered
802 Posts
You look pretty stock too. Looking at your pic. I honestly can't remember how mine ran when I got it but my mirrors vibe at a light.
Stock mirrors for now. Do want to get something with a bigger viewing area.

I'll pay more attention on the way home today, but I'm pretty sure if they have any, it's negligible.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shaking at redlight

This is my first v twin, and I'd say mine is pretty smooth.

A friend of mine and I were shopping for bikes this past weekend, and the owner of a used lot started a VN1600, and it was smooth too.

Then he tried to show off a Harley 1200. Thing vibrated so bad it would have made a novelty toy at an adult store blush.

my mirrors and windshield shake when stopped at a light. Nothing major but not smooth either. At higher RPMs, when cruising the interstate, my keys vibrate and I can feel it on the hand grips. Seems to get worse at higher RPM's. I might get the carb sync checked.

Rick

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
I recently had some increased vibration in my handlebars. Found the clamp bolts that hold the handlebars on weren't torqued enough. Tightened them to the proper torque (17.5 ft-lb) and now they're perfect, no vibes, mirrors do not vibe either.

·
Super Moderator
11,990 Posts
Well the problem here is it is your first bike and have nothing to compare it to..much less how does one discribe vibration on a bike if they can not tell if it is excessive.

Where do you live? Perhaps one of us is near you and could take a look at the bike and make sure you do not have a dangerous situation.

I rode a freinds bike once and noticed that the steering was clunking..(improperly torqued steering head)...He said it was like that when he got it and thought it was normal...

So, , no one online can feel what your bike feels like , you need someone to physicaly check it out if you want to be sure.........

KM

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nashville tn

Hi,
i live just 20 miles south east of nashville. I'd love to have someone check it out for me.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I'd check every single nut and bolt on the bike in the meantime. Engine mount bolts, I've seen several posts around here of them coming loose and/or falling off. Bar clamps as suggested, etc.

Like KM said, it's hard to compare, and even harder to explain.

My bike vibrates a bit, enough that I can tell whether or not it's running, but not enough that it ever causes me to wonder about it.

I don't know about the "mirror gauge", IMO, all things being a bit different as they are, with age, shape, wear, miles, etc. My mirrors are clear at all speeds, but does that mean someone else with shaky mirrors has a problem? No, not at all. Mine are short stalk, and only a month old.

Check the hardware all over your bike, start at the engine and work your way outward, while we wait to see if any one can visit you and help.

We have a member here by the name of "Old Dog" who lives in TN also, but I don't know how close he is to you.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well, the mirrors on mine have such a minimal shake you have to look for it. Could be that it is a newer model with relatively low miles. For now. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vibration is wrse now

I finally got around to checking for loose bolts and found that the upper thru bolt was extremely loose. After tightening, the vibration got worse. I can feel it in the foot pegs. I don't like this. Also, I installed mccts because I thought I had acct noise and couldn't get rid of the tapping coming from the front cylinder. This bothers me. I'll probably get the carb sync checked and replace the plugs. This is a 1990 with 17000 miles.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Just a wild shot in the dark ..... have you checked the oil for shavings?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I finally got around to checking for loose bolts and found that the upper thru bolt was extremely loose. After tightening, the vibration got worse. I can feel it in the foot pegs. I don't like this. Also, I installed mccts because I thought I had acct noise and couldn't get rid of the tapping coming from the front cylinder. This bothers me. I'll probably get the carb sync checked and replace the plugs. This is a 1990 with 17000 miles.
I've rode alot of bikes from honda nighthawks to Harley sportsters and the VN does vibrate to a point like in the pegs. I thought my feet would push off.

I live in Knoxville, maybe we can hook up and I can check it out. :beerchug:

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
I get a little vibration at idle,not much. Then at 4000RPM you get a little until you pass that point, or under the 4000 RPM

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
shavings

Just a wild shot in the dark ..... have you checked the oil for shavings?
i changed to oil several weeks ago and didn't notice any shavings, but i at this that time I wasn't looking for them either. I may drain the oil this weekend. I'm assuming you're refering to the balancer.

rick

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Exactly .... wouldn't hurt to check.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts