Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
NewB to Vulcans
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally borrowed a welder and finished the Vetter mount.

It sits very high, I am looking between the "horns" when i ride but position is driven by the Ears so might try the under the tank earshave. I am looking at buying another fairing and windshield so could cut this shield way down like a Harley too......

Used Tank Bolt, Radiator upper bolt and upper engine mount bolt locations.
The Vetter always wants to tip forwards, rotating about the forward mount, so the tank mounts hold it down, not up, most of the time.
Most weight and stress goes down the square tube to the engine mounts.
Tabs to the upper radiator mount stop side to side motion, I will have to trim the plastic radiator cover a little.
Mount seems to stay still and the Vetter flexes under load.

Neither the Vetter nor the bike are truly symmetrical!!!!!

Materials came from Home Depot and a file cabinet at work, bent in a vise firmly mounted to my bench made of 2x4's.
Fairing is in paint right now and the crappy welds are getting cleaned up, summer in Florida means afternoon t storms so i have time.
Will post pics of finished product.

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
that looks huge and kinda ridiculous...

I LOVE IT! Can't wait to see how it turns out in the end. I have a Slipstreamer S-03 on mine which helps a lot but leaves my legs exposed. This looks like it'll leave NOTHING to the wind

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
The 80s called... and they gave you a thumbs up. Love it.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
a collection of Vetters from the 70's and 80's,plus a Califia Eliminator on the far right

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Based on the SN of the Vetter I think it is back to the 70's
yup that's a windjammer ya got there

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Nice. Yeah, an earshave be a good idea...just to move the fairing down some. There's a guy in town with an old Honda CB750 (or 500, hard to tell) with a pristine Vetter fairing color matched to the bike.
I've seen, in the past 15 years, two Vulcan 750's that had an old Vetter mounted in them. Yours makes three. Good work ;)

·
NewB to Vulcans
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a Windjammer III from 1975 according to Vetter Fairings, about the same era as the basic design of the VN!
I did replace all the electrics and wiring.
Headlight was a sealed beam, that went in the trash ASAP. Now it uses the same bulb as the Vulcan, 100/80 Watts of Halogen because the aftermarket sealed beam to H4 converter and the aftermarket billion (chinese) lumen LED didn't play well together.
Vulcan turn signal/running lights are rebuilt with LED's and solid stems.
Vetter side markers are rebuilt with LED's.
I have some bluish white LED light strips I might add.

Fairing I go look at tomorrow has lowers, windshield with vents and chrome trim, came off a GL1000.

Now all i need is a dancing Hawaiian girl for the dash............

·
Registered
39 Posts
TonyO do you have front and rear vantage point pics? Got a guy around here giving away a windjammer but it looks pretty beat up

·
NewB to Vulcans
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, its on the cart getting painted, will post when I put it back on.

Vetters are a) damm tough and b) a finite commodity so a free one is a screaming deal. you an always sell it if you don't like it

·
NewB to Vulcans
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I gave up on the paint, rattle cans don't like Florida summer. Too hot and humid!

Here it is with the shorty windshield, Home Depot lexan sheet cut with a jig saw.

Attachments

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
sweet!I like it

·
NewB to Vulcans
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While i don't mind the headlight shining into the eyes of oncoming cagers or lighting up the interior of the car in front it does need to light up the road. Ran out of headlight adjustment. Tried going lower on the front and ran into interference issues, so I moved the fairing back an inch while lowering. Made the brackets adjustable so I can play with settings whilst I was at it, Home Depot square bar fits neatly into Home Depot square tube! Once I have a final solution I will remake the brackets from one piece and (hopefully) better welds.

Now I need to get better foam tape around the windshield to stop the incessant squeaks.
Going to try a ceramic heater and hot air gun to shape the windshield a little better too.
Still mulling paint designs, thinking I might need to continue the tank theme onto the fairing somehow. The physical lines look like they match so I guess the paint should look like a continuation of the design.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts