Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delaware roads: Crash kills motorcyclist in Hockessin
Accident is state's first motorcycle fatality in '10

A 41-year-old man was killed after crashing with a car while riding his motorcycle in Hockessin on Tuesday afternoon.

The first motorcycle fatality in Delaware for 2010 occurred just before 3 p.m. along Lancaster Pike at Yorklyn Road.

John McGrellis of Hockessin was traveling on a 1995 Harley-Davidson Sportster when he struck a 1999 Toyota Camry driven by Win Oo, 36, of Wilmington.

Police said Oo was southbound and turning right into a Wawa (convenience store) parking lot when McGrellis tried to pass on the right shoulder. McGrellis was sideswiped, hit the curb and flew off the motorcycle. McGrellis, who was not wearing a helmet, suffered a fatal head injury, police said. McGrellis also was driving with a revoked license, they said.

In 2009, half of the 14 fatal motorcycle crashes in Delaware happened in August and Sept. according to OHS.

Pictures here

·
Registered
796 Posts
Very true. You can't fix stupid but sad non the less.

·
Bandito
160 Posts
Yea, read about that this morning, guessing the guy turning right didn't signal and the biker was not waiting to see which way he was going and paid for it. It still bugs me that DE does not enforce helmet laws, this guy could still be alive.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Well, he was riding with no license, wasn't wearing a helmet as required by law, and certainly wasn't thinking when he decided to break the law again and pass a slowing vehicle in the right lane on the shoulder. Sounds like if this accident hadn't been his last, he would have had at least one more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sad to hear it. Very bad decision making on his part. I'm sure the driver feels like hell too.

·
Bandito
160 Posts
wasn't wearing a helmet as required by law
It is legal in DE to not wear a helmet, that needs to change, sometimes people NEED to be told what to do for their own safety, just like seat belts.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
'Eh...maybe it is just me...but I don't feel sorry or sad when stupid people do stupid things and voluntarily take themselves out of the gene pool. *shrug*

If that makes me a bad man...so be it.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
It is legal in DE to not wear a helmet, that needs to change, sometimes people NEED to be told what to do for their own safety, just like seat belts.
I strongly disagree with the people NEED to be told what to do for their own safety.The thought of every thing I have to do already because the government tells me so.I have sense enough to KNOW I need to wear a helmet and do most of the time.I am over 18 and responsible for my own safety,the government is not my Mommy and needs to leave people alone. I'll worry about my own welfare and let every body else do the same.The government already steals more with a pencil from me and every one else than Jesse James ,Billy the kid and every other outlaw I can name did with a gun,which by the way they don't want us to have either in the name of safety.I don't NEED protected from myself any more than I am already. Children need protected, not adults.Rant over,I'm moving on.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I strongly disagree with the people NEED to be told what to do for their own safety.The thought of every thing I have to do already because the government tells me so.I have sense enough to KNOW I need to wear a helmet and do most of the time.I am over 18 and responsible for my own safety,the government is not my Mommy and needs to leave people alone. I'll worry about my own welfare and let every body else do the same.The government already steals more with a pencil from me and every one else than Jesse James ,Billy the kid and every other outlaw I can name did with a gun,which by the way they don't want us to have either in the name of safety.I don't NEED protected from myself any more than I am already. Children need protected, not adults.Rant over,I'm moving on.

Mellow,
Hear ya loud and clear, and agree to a point, but I also believe in the freedom of choice. Denny said it better than I could.
The lack of a helmet didn't cause this mans' death....stupidity did. You might forgive riding without a valid license. You might even forgive the no helmet thing. You can't forgive stupid. This tragedy happened within earshot of where I'm sitting...he was a prominent community figure, but he thought he was above common sense. Paid the ultimate price. Sad!

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
It is not that smart to ride a motorcycle. However, I don't want them (law maker) to make it illegal to ride one.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
What's really sad is the biker is dead from HIS mistake and poor judgment while Win Oo will live with this the rest of his life.

DT

·
Registered
152 Posts
Denny well said :smiley_th

People need to be careful what they ask the GOV for. Mandatory helmet laws today, ban those dangerous motorcycles tommorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Thought I read in one of the write ups that helmets were mandatory in Delaware. Louisiana says you have to wear an approved helmet. Coming home this evening I rode up behind a guy and his girl riding an American made cruiser. Her half helmet might have been legal. It looked pretty thin to be an approved helmet, but it did have some thickness to it and had a DOT sticker. Yeah, those stickers can be bought. His skid lid was definitely illegal. That was the only "gear" they were wearing.

Some folks are just going to buck the system. Don't know if they want to figuratively stick their finger in the eye of the government that tells them what to do, or they just figure they'll never be in an accident and won't need a good helmet or other gear. They guy in Delaware comes across as the former. Suspended license (DUI?), risk taker (passing on the right), and careless with his life.

I don't mind letting folks decide what gear they should wear. But it irks me no end that the Bozos here in Louisiana that opt to wear illegal helmets are the ones most likely to spend years on life support in the state's taxpayer financed charity hospital system!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I don't mind no helmet laws....as long as someone besides the taxpayer pays for scraping up the brains. In the great state of Texas, we have to get the extra insurance ..just enough to help cover the cost of clean up. I think thats pretty good deal.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,723 Posts
I agree 100%!

·
Bandito
160 Posts
No one likes to be told what to do, but when it is for the betterment of society then yes, I think it is necessary. I think your taking the whole thing way out of proportion, if people do not wear seat belts do you think government will ban cars because they are dangerous? Statistics prove my point, helmets should be worn at all times, some people are just to stupid to make the right decision and have to be told what to do.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sad to say, but this guy did it to himself. Helmet wearing is a choice. Your life, your choice. As for stupid people, you can tell them what to do all you want. They are still going to be stupid and they are still going to do what they want.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
No one likes to be told what to do, but when it is for the betterment of society then yes, I think it is necessary. I think your taking the whole thing way out of proportion, if people do not wear seat belts do you think government will ban cars because they are dangerous? Statistics prove my point, helmets should be worn at all times, some people are just to stupid to make the right decision and have to be told what to do.
It is not about how stupid You think some one is,You are not their Judge nor will you make me believe people that hold a Job,pay taxes.raise families are incapable of making decisions on their own.Because you and our current so called leaders think they know how to better run our lives doesn't make it correct.Society is not responsible for my actions or my welfare,I am ,have you read the Bill of Rights or the US Constitution.What you are saying is what has got the country in the shape it is now.Remember Jim Jones he told all those people that they needed to do what was better for their "society" right up to the point he had them commit mass suicide.I am not a Lemming and do not fall in line and run off the cliff with every body else.We as individuals have the right to make our own choices ,for now. Follo

1 - 20 of 41 Posts