Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm use to old bike with the push-in or pull-out type chokes. I went to look at a 1995 Vulcan 750 the other day and choke lever on the handlebar was up with the engine running. I thought that the choke was on with it in this position and went to put it down and the engine died. The guy told me that the lever up was choke off and the lever down was choke on. I just wanted to check and see if this was the case and if it is, why did the engine die when I put the choke down?

Thanks

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
It is possible that the choke is a bit out of adjustment, and when you pulled the lever towards you, it closed (choked) all the air off. This caused the engine to die out.

Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
721 Posts
yup- push the choke away from you to 'un'choke the bike.. pull it towards you to choke the bike...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Related question to carbs I think..if I may. I'm having problems with setting idle speed after warm up. Get it set to preferred idle speed. Take off, come to a stop the idle is sometimes high,then I adjust it back. Doesn't always run high, just sometimes. loose thottle cable?..dirty carb? Other then the idle problem she runs great. Have a new MF Battery, which solved my hot starting problems....any ideas? thabks

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
what is happening is normal for this bike. Evan with the choke you have to slowly push it away from you as the bike warms up. Along with the choke you have to set the idle knob on the left side of the bike to a fast idle until it really warms up. I think most of the guys here would say that it take about 5 to 10 minutes to warm up. Depends on the temp outside, the colder the longer it takes. Mine does the same thing, you ride for a shot time and when stopped at a light you have to reset the idle knob.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I think he is saying when the bike is warm, the idle speed isn't consistant. Which I encounter that as well. The bike will be nice and warm, but idles about 900, i turn it up to bout 1100. next it warms up, its back to 900.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
check your throttle cables and make sure both have some free travel with the throttle closed and there is no binding of the cables or throttle linkage the idle screw sshould contact it's stop every time you close the throttle

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
James, i had a similar problem. make sure the carb manifolds are tight so there is no air leaking into the engine bypassing the carbs. Before they got tightened up on my bike when the bike warmed up, my idle was between normal and up to 2000 rpm. tighten up the manifolds and my idle sits at 1000 all the time.

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts