Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking through the posts on engine coolant and engine temperature as well as poor wiring affecting grounding which can prevent the shut-off the cooling fan.

My question is about engine temp and how to tell if the coolant & fan are functioning properly.

I can see the coolant rising (in reservoir) after a short ride and I can hear the fan shutting off 20 sec. after key is removed. The engine however seem extremely hot still.

Is there a safe temperature range the engine block should be in to maintain optimum performance? How hot is too hot? Does the temp gauge really tell me anything at the 50% mark?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Dude you should be fine as long as yoj aren't in the red. I don't worry too much about specific temp because my engine is pretty much stock.

·
Super Moderator
11,832 Posts
If your gauge is not going past the halfway mark (basically pointing straight down) your bike is normal. Not sure why you think it's too hot, but they don't cool off that quick when you turn them off.

In stop and go traffic on a hot day the needle might move towards the red, but should go back down once you start moving.

Sounds like your fan is working fine too....

But.....have you checked your splines?? ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Thanks. I'll be checking splines soon.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Make sure to bleed any air from the cooling system as well. Mine was running a wee hot at times, and as soon as I bled the air (as per manual and w/o removing tank), I almost never see the needle go above 1/3.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
The sides of th cylinders will definitely be over 150F (which is about one-thousand-one, ouch.) I will take some measurements with my non-contact heat gun when I get home. If your fan is cycling, you should be fine.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
I checked the sides of the cylinders when got home last night. They were about the same temp as he coolant ~185F or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all. I will check these recommendations this weekend.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Could someone tell me how often the fan is supposed to come on? I can't tell if it's on when I'm riding. It seems to only come on after I turn off the bike. It will kick in about 5 seconds after I turn off the engine, then it runs for a bit. Is this normal???

My bike seems to be running hot. I was in a lot of traffic this weekend, but it was only 75 degrees out, and the needle was all the way up to the red line. I've never seen it that hot before. I forgot to bleed the air out of the system when I put coolant back in after I pulled the engine. Is this most likely the reason??

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'd bleed it. Then again, I never have had to do that just yet. If you fill it up with the weep valve open- I just keep going til coolant starts coming out of that. I do shake the bike a little as well just to make sure there is no air.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Where's the weep valve, up at the thermostat housing?

·
Registered
167 Posts
You got it. If you take the right side over off you can reach it with an open ended wrench so you don't have to remove the tank. It may be an 8 or 10 mm I forget. But you can also loosen it while the bike is running to properly bleed the system. Do it at start up and not when the whole thing is super hot. Just open it a touch until fluid starts coming out.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I forgot to bleed the air out of the system when I put coolant back in after I pulled the engine. Is this most likely the reason??
Without a doubt....My bike fell over a cupla weeks ago and some coolanrt spilled from the overflow....I just added to bring the level back up....wrong....I guess when the bike was horizontal, the cooling system had gulped a lil air too, and the bike began running a lil hot again....
Always remember to BURP THE BABY !!!!!....lolol....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts