Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vulcan sat for quite a while before I bought it and runs just great after it starts but....Its hard to start. Ive put Seafoam in two tanks of gas now and today I drained the carbs/ carb that is as the carb on the shift side would not drain at all, nothing came out after removing the drain screw and attaching the hose and clear glass bottle to it/...I took the hose from the gas tank off that goes into it and shot some carb cleaner through it and still nothing came out. The carb on the brake side drained perfect and was super clean?? I just put more SEAFOAM in a fresh tank of gas and at the gas station I had a hell of a time getting it started again as it cranked and cranked and back fired a lot before finally starting then ran perfect back to my house...It has new plugs, runs great after getting it started and im getting 50 mpg or better riding two up at 55 mph. Thanks to anyone that can help me with this problem.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
You're probably going to have to pull the carbs and clean them manually. If the carb didn't drain that's a good sign of gunk. BTW - Sea Foam workks best if you put it in, run the bike for a while / few miles, and then let her sit for a few days on the center stand so it can eat away the crud.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have a 95 that acted like this once in a while. I followed the advice given here and installed a AGM battery (a Sears). Starts right up now even on cold mornings. Next I'll have the starter armature shaved and cleaned: I believe (and others here) that the starter takes too many amps at start up after 13 years use and a clean up helps. Another suggestion is to use iridium IX plugs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Manually Clean the carbs

I had similar problems, maybe even a little worse. I tried the SeaFoam, it seemed to clean it a little, and I am sure it works for minor clogs, but if one of your carbs isn't even draining, it sounds like the gas may have really varnished up. Best bet is to pull the carbs and manually clean them. It only took an afternoon to do all the work, but for best results, let the parts soak in the cleaner overnight, and be sure to blow the parts dry with compressed air, it helps to clean out the tiny passages. Also, try changing the spark plugs again, I put in new Autolite's when I tried the SeaFoam, and barely ran it for 5 minutes, really rough before I cleaned the carbs. The same new plugs were in after I put the cleaned carbs back, and it would not start at all. I pulled the new plugs, and they were completely fouled. I suspect the SeaFoam. It was worth the few bucks for 4 new plugs, and started right up. Also, just this week, I had trouble starting again, and put new plugs in again, and started right up again. I think I may try hotter burning plugs, as these last ones were a little fouled. This Ethanol is the worst.:BLAM:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts