Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was on my 45 mile trip to class to take my final exam. I get about 7 miles from the exit and my bike just all of a sudden loses power and starts to bog. I kept going those last 7 miles to get to the school and called for a friend to come rescue me and my bike. This happens Monday evening, and Tuesday afternoon I start to mess with the bike. I was thinking that maybe there was a problem with the carbs so I took them of, tore them apart, and realized the diaphragms were still in good condition. Well I then put the carbs back on the bike and tried to fire it up again, and there was nothing. Then I decided to check for spark, and the spark was consistent and strong on all 4 plugs. I was trying to figure out what the problem was at this point in time so I decided that maybe it just isn't getting fuel. Pulled the tank off the bike and with the vacuum line on the petcock I created a vacuum on it, and well fuel flowed without a problem. I then decided to pull the carbs again and looked in the hole on the cylinder (rear) and crank the motor. Well both valves moved up and down with no problem at all. I then did the same thing to the front cylinder, and you guessed it correctly NO MOVEMENT AT ALL.

Before I decide to tear into the motor to try to figure out that the problem is here I'm needing some ideas on what could cause my valves not to move at all. They are in the down position. I want the ideas basically so I can price parts out to see how much it is going to cost and all to do the repairs. That and it's going to be a couple months till I get the money to do these repairs so it will give me time to research all options that y'all give me on what the problem could be.

Now I did forget to mention that I did remove the plugs 1 at a time and did a compression test. All 4 plug holes have compression so I know we are good to go there.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Or pull the cover off and see if the rockers slid off of the end of the Valves.
There is a couple here who knows about not getting them seated good before putting the cover on.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok well tore the bike apart tonight finally, and gave it a closer look. The lower chain is broke, and is in need of being replaced.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a search on here, but unable to find the thread that a member posted about replacing the cam chains. I could have sworn I say one on here at some point in time. I might not have typed it in correctly on the search feature, but if someone knows where it is at can you please post the link on here for me? Thank you.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the manual downloaded, and I'm using it, but the thread that is on here about the member that has to replace the chain there was damage that was taken pictures of that I want to check out on what possible damage could have occured. It's going to be a week or so till I actually tear the motor completely apart and everything.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
search The Journey begins, and the journey continues. Threads by jthills. I think he had pics of a broken cam chain in his teardown and rebuild.

Link to The Journey Begins:http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10466
The broken cam chain pictures start at post #25. best ones start at #33.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
search The Journey begins, and the journey continues. Threads by jthills. I think he had pics of a broken cam chain in his teardown and rebuild.

Link to The Journey Begins:http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10466
The broken cam chain pictures start at post #25. best ones start at #33.
That was exactly what I was looking for. I knew I read that thread before. Thank you for sharing that thread with me. Well after I took a look at the thread to get an idea on what could be broke I pulled the engine from the bike, and tore into it. The ONLY 2 parts that are damaged is the lower chain and the lower tensioner, and that is it.

That thread also did give me a little more to look at on what may have also been broken, and yep just those 2 parts, and parts are ordered. I love the internet. lol

thank you again for sharing that link with me.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Glad I could help. Good luck with the rest of the job.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
NetMatrix,
Good luck with your repair. I am interested in how it goes for you.
Do you have any indication on the cause of the cam chain failure? Metal fatigue? Any rust from disuse? Could the chain and guide have been stressed from a faulty ACCT or misadjusted MCCT?

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NetMatrix,
Good luck with your repair. I am interested in how it goes for you.
Do you have any indication on the cause of the cam chain failure? Metal fatigue? Any rust from disuse? Could the chain and guide have been stressed from a faulty ACCT or misadjusted MCCT?
don't know what caused the chain to break. The ACCT/MCCT is for the upper chain, and the lower chain broke on mine. I'm going to try and figure out what caused it to break though I hope.

I'm just happy that there is no damage to the motor with the lower chain front tensioner and the chain broke it's all easy fix for me. I have no idea why I took it to the bike shop. It was going to cost about $400 for them to fix it, and it'll cost me about $150 to do it myself. I'll snap some pictures and put them on here when I get a chance to.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well another problem was discovered today after a much much closer look at the motor. When the chain broke the valves were open,a nd now they are bent. It's going to cost a couple hundred to fix this problem now. The piston is still in good condition though.

NEEDS REPLACED SO FAR:

All 4 valves
Lower Chain
Lower Front Tensioner

Lets hope I don't find anything else wrong with the bike.

cheapcycleparts.com is going to become my new best friend. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts