Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I recently bought a chrome right angle valve stem from Rick's Automotive. Just over $5 shipping included - check it out. I'm going to use it only when I inflate or check my rear tire pressure because my pressure gauge and tire pump don't fit on the rear tire. Worked well but some air escapes (about 1 psi) when you apply and remove the device (screw on, not quick connect).

When I first applied the angled valve stem, I noticed that my front tire valve stem was a 1-inch valve, and the rear tire valve stem is a 1.5 inch valve. Stupid, because there is less room on the rear tire to fit a pressure gauge or most air chucks. Is this stock? or did my mechanic replace the stock with a longer valve when I had my tire replaced after a flat?

Also, does anyone know of a good low profile rubber valve stem, say 1/2 inch protrusion, so that it would be easy to check the tire pressure or inflate the rear tire? I'll consider chrome stems if they're the only ones available.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Stock valve stems are the same length, about 1 inch. So someone put it in the longer one.
As you have to break the bead on the tire to install any valve stem, not sure why you just don't get a one piece 90 degree valve stem to start with. Like these:
http://tinyurl.com/6nx6bo

They are machined and a bit costly, but they do make cheaper ones..(just do not have a link)

Some RV places carry them I am told for a couple bucks.

I do not think they make a straight one smaller than the 1 inch stock stem, but if you do find one smaller let us know.

KM

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Knifemaker. Saw those on a previous post of yours. They're nice, but $$. There's a lot of disagreement on wether or not angled valve stems are a problem when going high speeds, something about the centrifugal force on the valve. I guess if the angle was pointing away from the direction of the tire spin and not towards the spin or out to the side, it shouldn't be a problem. But I've never had a problem with a straight rubber valve stem. I did find a low profile metal valve stem - see THIS one and THIS one. Looks good, I guess, but it may be too low to connect an air chuck to, I don't know. The 2nd one states you need to use a filler tube to connect an air chuck to.

Anyone use one of these low profile valve stems?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I bought some from Rick's recently myself, and I plan to use them only when I'm putting air in the tires. It takes all of 10 seconds to screw on or remove, and it makes it so much easier.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found a low profile rubber valve stem that might fit our bikes. Look HERE at the first product on the list. Looks like the total exposed length is under 1-inch.

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
I got one from calmoto.com and found the threads didn't match so it's useless.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have a 90 degree stem on my rear wheel.. $13from the stealer when they changed the tires for me... seems to me I got ripped off, haha

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I did find a low profile metal valve stem - see THIS
That #1 looks good to me... That is the one I would go with, and if not it would be the one in the other post (low profile rubber) which looks to be +/-13/16-7/8", but they don't tie the measurements so you can't tell exactly how tall it is...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts