Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While installing coasters, I discovered that I did not have any extra vac line going inot my right air filter box. I read somewhere that there should be one.

Low and behold, I find a vac line tucked up under the tank the appears to be a likely candidate.

Does anyone know where the line from the right air filter box goes to so I can trace it back and make sure it is correct?

Checked as many diagrams as I could find and didn't see it anywhere!
 

·
Geek
Joined
·
872 Posts
You can tell if thats the line. While the engine is running plug the end with your finger. the engine will probably cough alot and die. If not try revving it up a little. It probably won't.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rnewell said:
You can tell if thats the line. While the engine is running plug the end with your finger. the engine will probably cough alot and die. If not try revving it up a little. It probably won't.
Should it have not run right having not been put into the air filter box? I found it tucked up out of the way under the tank.

Or, did the air filter box just provide particle free (sort of) air?
 

·
Search Goddess
Joined
·
2,002 Posts
For those of us that have done the ear shave there are no air filter boxes to place the hose in, in this case some have tucked it up under the tank where it can still get air.
If you still have your "ears" though I would suggest cutting the tip at a 45 degree angle and placing in the right side filter box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I have the same question. One end of the hose appears to go to the left carb and I would like to know where exactly the other end goes. I can not see any where for the hose to connect. Can anyone help me out? Also, is my 2005 VN750 the only bike with all the 8mm bolts rusting? My bike is six months old and has never seen a raindrop but it still has a problem with rusting bolts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Dianna said:
For those of us that have done the ear shave there are no air filter boxes to place the hose in, in this case some have tucked it up under the tank where it can still get air.
If you still have your "ears" though I would suggest cutting the tip at a 45 degree angle and placing in the right side filter box.
If this hose is inserted into the right side air filter, as the SM describes, and it is inserted all the way in without the 45 degree cut, will this restrict the air flow to the hose, causing idleing problems. Bike idles high, but when I turn down the adjuster, at about 1500-1750 rpms, bike stalls.
Carbs cleaned, rebuilt and all hosed properly connected?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
myplace said:
I have the same question. One end of the hose appears to go to the left carb and I would like to know where exactly the other end goes. I can not see any where for the hose to connect. Can anyone help me out? Also, is my 2005 VN750 the only bike with all the 8mm bolts rusting? My bike is six months old and has never seen a raindrop but it still has a problem with rusting bolts.
I think it is standard for asian bikes to have rusty fastners, keep them clean with a stailes brush and a coat of wax on them where possible.
As far as the hose, mine goes into the right side airbox, the hole is at the back of the housing. Don't know if the former owner put it there or it is factory.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,647 Posts
The vacuum lines come from both carbs and meet in a T fitting. From there, it becomes one line and this is the one that goes into the friction fit hose holder on the right ear. As mentioned earlier, it the air intake into the hose is restricted, the engine will not run right. I wouldn't worry too much if the hose was tucked up under the tank as the ear supplies no filtered air to the hose, it merely acts as a holder to keep it out of the way and open. As long as it is sucking air, it's good to go. If you are one of those who has to have the hoses run to their proper place, no prob, just run it to the right ear and put it in its place. Again, follow the advice here and cut the end off at a 45 degree angle so that the end of the hose can't be restricted by the back wall of the ear.

Hope this long explaination helps. If you really want to see how the hoses connect to the carbs, go to Kawasaki's websight and under Owner Information select parts diagrams and pull up the carb micro fiche. There you can see how it all fits together.
 

·
Benjammin'
Joined
·
421 Posts
Carb hose unattached also

Good stuff guys! I was looking for a place to post the same question of my bike where I found an open hose tucked up under the tank.

I do have a question about adjusting the mixture screw on the carbs. I read in another post here where the factory settings on the bikes are somewhat lean and turning the screws out to 2 to 2.25 turns will help reduce backfiring on deceloration. I have marbles in place and they did wonders, but I still have the occasional pop on the rear cylinder. That is the first question- will that help.

Secondly, is the screw (with factory lead covering) on the side of the carb instead of underneath as one of the posts suggeated?

Thanks for all the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Yeah Skaggs, they are on the side of the carb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
If you have a hose that is drawing air through it then you have a vacuum leak. if this is so then hold yuor finger over the end and see if the idle comes down. KRAWDAD7.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top