Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new stator installed in the case last Tuesday evening as well as the engine back together.
Friday, engine back in frame and rear engine mounts installed.
Saturday, completed assembly and fired her up. It runs and it only took about 4 tries to get her running!!! (Empty carbs).
The only issue I have noticed is that the wires from the new R/R get awful hot. That and about the max voltage I could get was about 14 beginning at 4k and not increasing above that.
I only let her idle for about 5 minutes or so. The battery has been sitting for about a month and the charging system wasn't up to snuff for a bit before that so I'd imagine a fair amount of power was going to the battery. I'm going to put it on the charger tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Great to hear!!! Remember the old standard has always been 14.4v for any 12 volt battery, anything higher is over charging. So as long as it stays between 12.5-7 at idle and 14.4-5 at 5k then yout fine in my book :smiley_th

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think the stator leads conduct a lot of heat out of the generator case.

I also just got my bike back on the road this weekend after opening the engine to replace the stator lead grommet. While I was in there, I replaced the ~18 AWG stator wires with 14 gage wire which has TWICE the current-carrying capacity. After riding to work this morning, the wires were still pretty hot. No oil leaks though!

By the way, Yamabond or ThreeBond 1194 works great for sealing the grommets. It stays very tacky and pliable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts