Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just found out a good friend of mine was hit by a truck yesterday... he is in intensive care now. i don't know exactly what happened, but he is not a careless cyclist.

accident news report
with texting, cellphones, mp3players, and the rush everybody seems to be to be 'first'.. its getting really dangerous just to ride around in this city.
i saw 2 bicyclists being cared to on the side of the road just on tuesday to work.

the recent threads on helmets and being extremely defensive in riding are subjects to be taken seriously.

i just had to say something. :(

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
"Police say the truck driver was turning onto Center St. when he collided with the motorcycle."

Sounds like another careless cager to me. Best wishes and a speedy recovery to your friend, electrum.

·
Registered
235 Posts
its getting really dangerous just to ride around in this city.

I hope your friend comes thru this ok. Best of luck on his recovery. I some times catch myself wishing I could ride to work in the city, the nature of my job does not let me. every now and then i go into the city area and am instantly reminded why i dont ride there often. God bless all you guys who ride in congested city streets with absent minded and careless drivers. I will try to stick to the outskirts of town, same dangers i guess, but a lot less cars to watch out for.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Hope he makes it ok and the truck driver has flashbacks that keep him more alert in the future!

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Best wishes!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Thoughts and prayers go out to your friend.

I really wish there was a seperate lane for some of these drivers who don't pay attention. That way they'd all take each other out and we'd be much safer on the road!!

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
So sorry to hear about your friend. Hope he pulls through this.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yeah a guy got killed in minneapolis this week on his bicycle, semi-truck turning left he ran into the truck. Bicycles dont belong on city streets, its shame when avoidable accidents happen.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your friend and will keep him in my thoughts. Hopefully he'll make a full and sound recovery.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks

thanks for the support...

he is still in intensive care, but might be able to see people today, so after work i'm going to try to make a visit. i'll let him know of your concern.

i got a little more info from another friend.. the truck made a left turn in front of him, he couldn't stop and laid the bike down rather than hitting it broadside. he's a big guy.. probably around 6foot3 and 260pounds, and i think he drives a roadstar 1100. anyway the bike and him hit the truck and went under it, he and the bike got wedged under the rear axle of the truck, which continued on for another 50 feet. other people that saw it stopped their cars and got out and actually lifted the truck up and flipped it on its side to get him out. when the cops showed up they thought it was a roll-over accident, but then they told the cop that they flipped the truck over themselves.

he was wearing all his gear and helmet, and the medics said without the helmet he would be dead. he's got lots of broken bones. i guess he will pull thru... hes a tough guy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend Thank God he was wearing a helmet.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
We'll be praying for him! Thank God he was wearing his helmet! I had a big dually pull out in front of me last night on the way home from work. I saw him coming off a farm driveway and slowed way down trying to see his eyes and he never even looked my direction! I didn't see if he was on a cell phone. Man! It pays to scan your 12 second future path!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Let me add my thoughts and prayers to the list of those already going out to your friend.

--FA

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I pray your friend has a speedy recovery and am thankful it was not worse.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Electrum, you are a good friend for bringing this to our attention. Many have prayed for your friend, as I am right now. In the blink of an eye our whole lives can be altered by a quick careless act of another. I hope your friend has a complete and speedy recovery.

By the way, did you get to visit him? Please let us know how he's doing.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just fyi.. he can't have visitors yet. he wouldn't know anyone if they came in anyway since he is on lots of drugs. he is still having surgery's... friday he was in surgery for like 5-6 hours.
its going to be a long time before he is out of the hospital i think, and then he will have lots of metal and screws holding him together.
you are correct, life can change, or be changed for you in his case, in the blink of an eye.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
now in rehab

an update...
he is in rehab now.... crushed shoulder, legs, ribs... but no organs damaged.
he can move one arm ok and talk, but its going to be a long time for him in rehab.
he said he won't go back to bikes.. and i'm having second thoughts myself.
he did everything right.. had helmet, boots, body armor, good jacket... but the truck driver still almost killed him.
there are just way to many idiot drivers allowed to have licenses.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
an update...
he is in rehab now.... crushed shoulder, legs, ribs... but no organs damaged.
he can move one arm ok and talk, but its going to be a long time for him in rehab.
he said he won't go back to bikes.. and i'm having second thoughts myself.
he did everything right.. had helmet, boots, body armor, good jacket... but the truck driver still almost killed him.
there are just way to many idiot drivers allowed to have licenses.
And cell phones.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts