Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all -
Opened up the motor on Saturday - started with the Front Cylinder. Got the upper chain guides out - there was slight abrasion on the guide / tensioner one. is it supposed to look a little scraped up where the chain would be running against it?

I am just curious , more so being frugal - I have given myself a budget of $500 to do the repairs on this engine, and right now the price stands at over $800 - with those guides being the bulk of that.

I will try to take a picture and post it later.

I guess whats the tolerance on that part?

Thanks
Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
I've never looked at an actual part, but I would say some abrasion is normal, based on the design. I wouldn't worry about it unless there were significant grooves worn in it, like 25% of the thickness.

Did you notice what failed yet?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some Dip**** that owned the bike before me - decided that instead of replacing the spring in the acct, to just take a spot welder and increase the size of the acct by 1/4 inch. that put massive undue wear on the chain and the guides.

I also did not know that the part was the same in multiple year vulcans. I have contacted that person - if they have the rear set too - I will buy them and see where I am at that point.

Also if someone here, has a set from the rear, that still have the plastic/rubber on them - and wants to sell them - Lets talk.

Andrew

·
Banned
448 Posts
I sent you a PM from my husband Rakerbill to you Andrewr. He has a set of guides and tensioners for sale.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I recommend NOT replacing springs in ACCTs. Stronger springs MIGHT make new ACCTs last a little longer, but once the body of the tensioner is worn, springs will not help. The plungers that keep tension on the cam chain guides will back out by themselves when the threads wear. Springs will not solve the problem. It is NOT the job of the springs to hold the tensioners in place, only to give them a little boost and allow them to advance when the chain wears enough. Use manual tensioners, they will solve the problem, permanently. The tensioners are a defective design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts