Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 1985 VN700 need to change the engine can anyone advise what engines will fit,
Would like either the 750 or 900

Thanks for your time
Glyn

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
the vn750 engine is identical to the 700 with exception of displacement. bolt in. connect the couple of wires, done. vn900 is totally different

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
The Vulcan 750 engine is almost exactly the same, and will bolt right in with zero modifications. I don’t think the 900 would fit.

The only difference really between the 700 and 750 is the size of the bore, everything else is interchangeable that’s not directly tied to that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have heard people claim their 700 is faster than their 750. Could that be due to the smaller bore size? My 700 is still missing it's carb, until the piece from the UK comes in, so I cannot test this theory.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Agreed to MTB and KM. 700-750 or buy another bike to ride.

Would have to see the 700 be quicker than 750. But I know a Kaw 440LTD is quicker off the line than a Yamaha 750 Special (3cyl), about 3rd gear the Yamaha wins. LTD is a lot smaller frame thoguh.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Does the 700 rev any higher than the 750?

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Does the 700 rev any higher than the 750?
Nah, same engines, just tiny bit smaller bore on the 700. Put nitrous on either one, it will rev higher. Then has no choice, blend or mulch.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
🙂 haha I've seen 10k on purpose, maybe 12 accidentally. Pretty sweet v-twin. Locals hear a sportbike wailing through town and all they see is an old geezer on a cruiser..

I like being earshaved with stock pipes, it's only loud when I make it loud.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Nah, same engines, just tiny bit smaller bore on the 700. Put nitrous on either one, it will rev higher. Then has no choice, blend or mulch.
HAHAHAHA!!!

9500+ outta a v-twin not revving enough for ya?
I was just curious. The 750 only hits (or should only hit) 8500 redline.
I know it'll rev past 11, because I missed a 1st-2nd shift and gunned it in neutral!
I don't advise it...

🙂 haha I've seen 10k on purpose, maybe 12 accidentally. Pretty sweet v-twin. Locals hear a sportbike wailing through town and all they see is an old geezer on a cruiser..

I found no usable power > 8500. What are you doing at 10k?!?

Once I get my bike running again (and stumble upon $250 or so), I'm going to put on a programmable ignition.
I suspect the power fall off after 8k is due to no ignition advance after 3.5k.
Looking online at various engines (I know, all engines are different), many show increasing advance all the way up to redline.
It might just be the RPM that it runs out of steam.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
HAHAHAHA!!!

9500+ outta a v-twin not revving enough for ya?
I was just curious. The 750 only hits (or should only hit) 8500 redline.
I know it'll rev past 11, because I missed a 1st-2nd shift and gunned it in neutral!
I don't advise it...

I found no usable power > 8500. What are you doing at 10k?!?

Once I get my bike running again (and stumble upon $250 or so), I'm going to put on a programmable ignition.
I suspect the power fall off after 8k is due to no ignition advance after 3.5k.
Looking online at various engines (I know, all engines are different), many show increasing advance all the way up to redline.
It might just be the RPM that it runs out of steam.
What am I doing? I'm watching the doggone road like turkey buzzards shopping for roadkill on date night. 🙂

North of 100. But after a certain level your not needing more power, it's time, speed, and distance your making.

We can chuck up the lathe and make those ashtrays, and you won't have to cook'em up out there on the road. 🙂

If you dial up too much timing at full throttle, it won't blend or mulch, it will most likely just cook itself. You'll surpass the ability of gasoline to keep the combustion cool.

"She runs 4:03 in the 1/4 mile, on aluminum" 🙂

Don't let it be lean.

Since you're experimenting with time, find out what the red/white wire does. It's a mystery baffling some Vulcan old dude.

We might find a 'push to pass' circuit to mod with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts