Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if anyone read my last post I was looking to put Harley shocks on my 95 Vulcan. Hyperbuzzin informed me that the stock length for the Vulcans shock was 12.5 inches, bolt hole to bolt hole. So I went on Ebay found a pair of Harley Davidson Road King Rear Shocks. discription said "Measurements are from eye to eye 12 1/2" total length is 14". No dents, these are in good used condition. Removed from a 1996 road king." So I bid on them won them for $28 + shipping came to almost $35 dollars. Well the UPS man showed up today with my package. I had to goto work, but as soon as I got home I dug into it. First of all seems like the hardest part of the whole damn project was getting the bike on the center stand. After trying over and over for 15 min I became frustrated and searched the VN Posts for driections. Found some. Went back out to the bike and on the 3rd try popped right up on the center stand. Kewl... THANKS GUYS!! So on to removing the shocks Removed one rear shock (didnt do both because I was afraid of not being able to get the wheel back up into position by myself) Measured the width of the Shock bolt. .58 of a inch Measured the width of the eylet on the HD shock .50. So I broke out the air tools and spent the next hour reeming the wholes. So after about 2 hrs worth of work from when I got started the HD shocks are on a Vulcan. With a little bit of finesse they work. I think the old shocks were WAY past there prime because I felt every little bump and when I pushed down on the ass end of the motor cycle I didnt hear that whoosh now I deffinatly do. So it is 3am in the morning 60 deg out side and took it for a test run down some of the crappiest roads in town. (Hard to choose from as there ARE ALOT in this town) They work REALLY nice... Great ride!!!:pepper:

First Picture is New Shock (Harley one)
Second Picture is of it on the bike
Third Pitcure is of the old shock

Attachments

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Um, the third pic (of the old shock) isn't a stock one :confused: Certainly looks like an old one though!!

Good to hear ya got things fixed up :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Air shocks going on my vn

I have a KZ750 spectre for parts in my garage that I'll be pulling off the air shocks and putting on my vn. Anybody try air suspension?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
using any shock that is smaller than 12 1/2 inches would lower the bike. You can only lower the bike so much before you have to start worrying about parts rubbin

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
You need to find out what the travel is on the HD shocks...

I purchased a set of Progressive 412 series shocks for my VN750. They were set up for a HD Dyna or something-whatever. In addition to having to get the proper bushing kit to make these fit my metric posts, I also had to get travel limiters as the travel on the HD would bottom out my VN750. Getting these installed was fun without the proper tools but with a lot of swearing it got accomplished. Without the travel limiter, a good bump would have had tire vs. fender going on...

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
is there anyway of changing the springs on our stock shocks?
I don't believe the shocks are disassembleable :confused: (my new word for the day! LOL)

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
The places I have read about say they will NOT shorten air assisted shocks.
You cannot shorten an air-assisted shock. It is not the spring that sets the travel but the piston on the shock. The spring just helps everything along. If your travel is 3-1/2", then that is how much compression you have. The only way to shorten the travel is to install a limitier. You cannot get 4" of travel out of that shock. A new spring might give you a firmer ride, but that is all. Unfortunalty, I doubt that the Kaw OEM shocks can be taken apart and replacement parts would be next to impossible to find. For the time, money and hassle I would just go with a new set of Progressive 412's. I got mine in Heavy Duty...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts