Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 2000 mile update on the new kevlar clutch kit, it is still great. no more noise when taking off cold or otherwise, and also, I was finding little metal, aluminim I believe, bits in the oil at every change, but this is the first change after the one I did the day I installed the clutch, 2000 miles later and the oil was nice looking, and there was no metal in the screen this time! maybe that grinder noise is not so harmless after all?

so it is a good report so far.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
where would the alum be coming from, and how would replacing the clutch plates affect that?

RB

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, could be the clutch drum, it is aluminum, holding the steel plates.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Ah, so the scalloped shape of the worn plates was perhaps shaving the drum some?

RB

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, I think it may be from the teeth that all the plates have that grip the drum to turn it, as they fit into slots, maybe that harsh vibration that sounds like gears grinding, bangs the plates back and forth in the drum, causing shavings in the oil? all I know for sure is I would have 3-5 flecks of metal in my screen at each oil change, now I had none for the first time in 4 oil changes.
coincidence? maybe. will know in time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi beavis;

The kevlar clutch kit. Does it come with steels also? Approximate cost.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
From a Post Bevis made to the yahoo group. a while back

RB
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [VN750] Clutch friction plates and springs--Heres your answer!!!!Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:08:58 -0500From: beavis <[email protected]>Reply-To: [email protected]To: [email protected]References: <[email protected]>

dennis kirk
www.denniskirk.com
part number 38-1992 $106.99
shipping was free
ebc kevlar and spring kit numbers taken from my recipt earlier this year.

Thanks, just my 2 cents.......

Beavis

Sgt Mike said:
Hi beavis;

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right, thats what i was fixin to say....lol
but it does not come with steel plates, but unless you have a severe wear case, you re-use the ones you have.

beavis

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sgt Mike said:
Hi beavis;

Sarge...you can get Barnett steel & Kevlar friction plates and the springs from www.parts411.com for ~$130 OTD. I went for the steels bc at $35 for the set, they were cheap enough. Going to put them in next (and last) oil change this season.
If you're interested, I can give you the part numbers....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts