Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to my 05 750 last week to a nasty surprise. The starter button was completely unresponsive to anything and the bike wouldn't turn over at all. I tried all the normal stuff. Made sure the bike was in neutral, held in the brake and clutch (just in case), tried with the kickstand up and down. Nothing.

I then started tinkering on it. The only thing that got it to turn over briefly was tapping on the throttle housing. It worked for a few seconds and then went back to unresponsive. I figured that wiring that led up to the housing was bad or must've corroded or something so I ordered a new right throttle assembly and pigtail.

In the meantime, I cut apart the pigtail of my old throttle assembly and started jumping the wires to simulate the starting connections. I could touch the black/red wire to one of the black wires and it would turn over just fine, so I figure it must be localized to this pigtail harness. Unless I'm jumping the wrong wires...

Fast forward to today, I get the new throttle assembly. Plug it in and press the start button while it's in neutral... AND NOTHING! :crying: I don't quite understand what else could be wrong. If I can jump the wires from an old harness to get it turn over but a fresh, brand-new-lookin harness won't do the trick, what else could it be?

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
look up the 2 wire mod.. it may be the solution to your problem.. however, be advised, it does bypass the clutch and neutral safety switches (you can start it with it in gear and clutch released).

the actual problem that the mod fixes is flakey relay's in the junction box. but check your starter solenoid first..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
look up the 2 wire mod.. it may be the solution to your problem.. however, be advised, it does bypass the clutch and neutral safety switches (you can start it with it in gear and clutch released).

the actual problem that the mod fixes is flakey relay's in the junction box. but check your starter solenoid first..
I'll give it a look. Thank you?

I don't think I'd ever cared to check but would having the kill switches on (kickstand, neutral, brake, whatever) prevent it from turning over or from starting?

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
I'll give it a look. Thank you?

I don't think I'd ever cared to check but would having the kill switches on (kickstand, neutral, brake, whatever) prevent it from turning over or from starting?
Kill switch in 'stop' will keep it from turning over.

Will start in neutral with kickstand down, but will stall if you put it in gear and then begin to let the clutch out.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
exactly, does NOT disable kill switch or side stand switch (side stand switch only in play if stand is down, trans not in neutral, and you start to let out clutch)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I tried to 2 wire mod. Took out the yellow/red and black/red from the 10-pin and connected them to each other. Starter button still unresponsive.

Something odd I noticed was when I run 12v to the starter solenoid when the ignition is on, it clicks on, but the starter doesn't turn over. I thought that was odd. However, the starter still turns over when the red/black is hooked to the black on the throttle pigtail. WHAT IS THIS THING'S DEAL

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
So I tried to 2 wire mod. Took out the yellow/red and black/red from the 10-pin and connected them to each other. Starter button still unresponsive.

Something odd I noticed was when I run 12v to the starter solenoid when the ignition is on, it clicks on, but the starter doesn't turn over. I thought that was odd. However, the starter still turns over when the red/black is hooked to the black on the throttle pigtail. WHAT IS THIS THING'S DEAL
That threw me off when I first read it, and why I didn't post the two-wire mod right away. Gonna have to think about this a bit.

I'm thinking there's a chance the kill switch is involved... However, it should turn over when you jump the starter solenoid. Where did you apply the 12v? Directly onto the solenoid terminal?

Is there no click anywhere when you hit the start button? Relay in the JB should at least click, and starter solenoid should click either by the button or with a jumper wire.

Could be dealing with overlapping problems. Start button problem of some sort, then possibly an intermittent failure of the starter solenoid or the starter.

Jumping the wires at the button is throwing me a curve. Where exactly are you putting the black/red and black wires together? At the button, at the plug?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That threw me off when I first read it, and why I didn't post the two-wire mod right away. Gonna have to think about this a bit.

I'm thinking there's a chance the kill switch is involved... However, it should turn over when you jump the starter solenoid. Where did you apply the 12v? Directly onto the solenoid terminal?

Is there no click anywhere when you hit the start button? Relay in the JB should at least click, and starter solenoid should click either by the button or with a jumper wire.

Could be dealing with overlapping problems. Start button problem of some sort, then possibly an intermittent failure of the starter solenoid or the starter.

Jumping the wires at the button is throwing me a curve. Where exactly are you putting the black/red and black wires together? At the button, at the plug?
So I applied the 12v directly to the solenoid terminals here.

I can hear the solenoid click when I give it 12v directly jumping it from the battery but the starter does nothing. Using the start button gives no solenoid or relay clicks.

As for the wires, I cut up the old broken throttle assembly and am using the pigtail that plugs into the main harness here. I have the cut up pigtail in my hand and the new throttle assembly plugged in in the picture.

I don't remember which black it was but connecting that red/black to one of those blacks gets it to turn over.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
where is the neutral switch located?
Close to the center of the trans, and on top of the trans if I recall. Green wire that drops down near the battery case. This is just from memory, so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Think MTB is right, on the bottom, single green wire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I checked the green wire. It was there. Took it off and put it back on. Still nothing when I press the button.

I jiggled all the wires, checked with the kickstand up/down, the clutch out in, the brake on/off, still throwing me for a loop.

I think I might've run my battery down too much. I jumped it and it'll turn over now by energizing the solenoid.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
If you jump from a car, leave the car shut off, can fry the r/r jumping from a running car.

You might try wiggling wires on the Junction Box plugs while holding the start button (key on). That's how I found the bad connection that killed my fan.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
So the ignition switch + start/stop switch both on seem to energize the red wire of the red + red/black pair at the start button. Shorting those two and pushing the button should be identical. Possibly a bad start button or start/stop switch on new assembly? Test with an ohm-meter? Hell, test the old button too. Seems fishy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the responses guys. I found the wiring diagram and traced out the positive side of the circuit. I'll check it over with a multimeter in the next couple of days. College comes first :-/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I found the problem! I traced the whole starter relay circuit and it turns out the yellow wire that comes from the ignition switch that powers the red/yellow which powers EVERYTHING ELSE (starter/ignition) broke off of the back of the ignition switch.

I would LOVE to post the pictures and diagrams of what I've found but I've tried posting pictures like 3 times in this thread and they just say something like "please wait for the moderator to approve the post before it shows" and it's been like 2 days since my first pictures post and it's still not there. Let me know what I can do to help those future problem solvers by posting the pictures.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
So, getting it to crank by crossing the start button wires was just luck?

I would LOVE to post the pictures and diagrams of what I've found but I've tried posting pictures like 3 times in this thread and they just say something like "please wait for the moderator to approve the post before it shows" and it's been like 2 days since my first pictures post and it's still not there. Let me know what I can do to help those future problem solvers by posting the pictures.
You need to have a certain number of posts, then you automatically get permission to post pics. You should be almost there, if not there already.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
This

1 - 20 of 40 Posts