Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not being a real mechanic it’s easy for me to miss things. I’m guilty of “if it ain’t broke” type thinking from time to time. Checking the air filters on this bike was one of the tasks that kept falling into that bucket. So here we are after 4 yrs and about 11k miles, I ordered a set of OEM filters and went to open the cover and this is what I find, I didn’t even open the other side yet.
Someone tell me what you see because that doesn’t look right to me.
I see no filter with a dry rotted ring of foam around the back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The new filters I bought are just foam that looks like it’ll fit over that basket. I guess I’m not sure what I’m looking at. My immediate thought was “WTF, there’s no air filters in there” are you saying there was and that orange is all that’s left?

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New foam that fits over the basket? I thought that the new filters came with that basket?

Thankfully I have another set of air boxes because the bolts wouldn’t come out of the left side basket. They just kept spinning, so I just replaced the whole unit for now and I’ll mess with the other one later.
Baskets are part of the air box assembly, Stock filters are foam only.
Font Musical instrument accessory Gadget Material property Electronic device

Font Musical instrument accessory Gadget Material property Electronic device

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have some screening material that’s “pet resistant. My dog bent the screen frame but not the mesh, probably could tape that in from the inside.
Anyway, I’ll never know how long those filters were like that. I’ll kick myself for not checking sooner considering how much I’ve done to the bike. It’s becoming more and more apparent that the PO never touched a single thing on this bike.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The manual states for maintenance you can clean them with high flash point solvent and dried with compressed air. Then dip them in 10w30 and wring them out really well.
The new ones I bought came in sealed plastic and were oiled and ready to install out of the box. I will not let these turn into what I found in there, that’s for sure

1 - 5 of 5 Posts