Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
So, what I'm learning from this is that I should probably seal off the air filter boxes when storing the bike for more than a few days or weeks, right?
A wad of aluminum foil in the square hole would probably keep mice out, they don't like chewing on it.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
I have some screening material that’s “pet resistant. My dog bent the screen frame but not the mesh, probably could tape that in from the inside.
Anyway, I’ll never know how long those filters were like that. I’ll kick myself for not checking sooner considering how much I’ve done to the bike. It’s becoming more and more apparent that the PO never touched a single thing on this bike.
Hot glue would probably hold it in there, hardware cloth will work too.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
What's your opinion on fabricating the filters? Before I bought new filters, I made my own. I peeled away the old foam from the baskets, and used a sheet of foam that I had lying around. It felt to be about the same density, but no real way to be sure. My thought at the time was "This is to prevent crap from getting into the system, so as long as it's clean and porous, it should be fine." Worked until I bought brand new ones.

I cut a strip as deep as the basket and as long as it needed to be to go all the way around. I met the edges and overlapped it by about 1/2 inch. Used a hot-glue gun, just like you said, and that worked. Then cut out an oval for the top and glued it onto the edge of the other. I had no problems out of them.

I still have some of that foam left, and I still have the old baskets I modified. So if you want to see a pic of them, let me know and I'll take one.
Should be fine, but the foam should be oiled.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Someone (ahem, maybe Spockster?) might know if maybe there's an unofficial maintenance schedule posted here on the forums? In the meantime, I'll see if I can find one in the Verses section.
I don't think there's any on the site, the repair manual might have it. It's probably in the owner's manual too, but for some reason you can only download a small part of that now.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
I get my air filter foam from the riding lawn mower section at my local hardware store. Red K&N oil works great and a can lasts for several years. Warm soap and water is all I use for the filter foam.
View attachment 54842

View attachment 54843
Lol, I still have a can I bought in the 80s, getting low though.

Briggs says to use motor oil, which is alright, but that filter oil is the stickiest oil you'll ever see.

I think motor oil is probably harder to apply to gauze filters, like K&Ns. Can't really wring those out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts