Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the bike for a ride this afternoon for around an hour. About 45 minutes into the ride, I started getting some hesitation again. I believe this was due to one of the fuel hoses having too much bend in it and starving the carb.

My real serious concern is the, now, very loud tapping noise coming from the engine. Sounds like lifters and it's not good. Keeping in mind this bike sat for a few years without running, could it be a lifter out of oil? That is if there are lifters. I haven't received my manual yet so stuff is still hard to figure out. The bike at times sounds like it's missing but I'm not positive about that. I'm about to the point of pulling the carbs and going through them.

The bike was running excellent after doing the coaster mod and the original hesitation was gone, for those who remember, and now I am dealing with this issue. I'm concerned about even running the engine now.

I'm seriously considering draining some oil and replacing it with seafoam for a few minutes run time while warm and see if that might help.

Dang crap!!! :doh:

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Do you have the carb vent hose, the hose that has a "T" in line, where the air draft does not vent into it??? The noise could very well be the acct on the front cylinder. Look up the grambo trick in the vulcan verses for some more info.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the carb vent hose, the hose that has a "T" in line, where the air draft does not vent into it??? The noise could very well be the acct on the front cylinder. Look up the grambo trick in the vulcan verses for some more info.
Vent hose is where it's supposed to be now.

I'll check out the grambo trick. Might be the ticket. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Do you have fuel line filters?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have fuel line filters?
Nope, no filters. I honestly can't see where there is any room at all for a filter.

I"ll be trying the Grambo trick tomorrow and see if that works. Might have to put in new springs from what I have read so far. We shall see. :loser1:

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yea, that noise is probably the ACCT. If you don't have filters, you may have debris clogging up stuff. Also, do you know if the filter on the petcock is still there? If there's no filter on the petcock and there's no filter on the lines, then any debris will go straight to your carbs. Just a thought on the hesitation problem.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The grambo trick worked but only for a short time. I suppose I'll be ordering springs and doing a rebuild of the ACCT next. The hesitation "might" be from a pinched fuel line to the rear carb. I rerouted that hose and it is running better.

I am just concerned about riding the bike until I rebuild the ACCT. Doesn't seem like the thing to do to me, riding that is.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ordered a rebuild kit from TOC or whatever in Arizona. I'll hold off on riding more than around the neighborhood until I get that installed. Sometimes I'm thinking that buying a bike that hadn't been licensed for 9 years might have been stupid. But at the same time I relish making something work perfect again. Did that with the 800B I had and then sold it and would like it back.

·
Banned
448 Posts
Based on your original question, yes they have lifters, or as the manual calls them Hydraulic Lash Adjusters.
They areas the name implies, hydraulic adjusters, there is no manual adjustment, however they can become clogged with contaminated oil, and clatter. I don't know of any riders in this forum that have had that problem, but I have with mine. An oil change helped tremendously. I am a Castrol user, but I guess the brand and type is up to you.
Mine had sat for 9 months, no idea how long before that, and apparently it had sat outside a LOT. Lot of dirt in all of the switches, none of the locks worked except for the ignition, and it was full of sand.
And as was previously stated, the ACCT's can rattle too.
Good luck with her, and good riding.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I tell you, I had that happen to me a few times. I lost power, as well. When I switched to an AGM battery I never had the problem again. Worth a try.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got home from a 75deg. afternoon ride. Grambo trick held out and the crimped fuel hose was the problem with the hesitation. She ran great and it was a great day to ride. I'll still be installing the rebuild kit on the ACCT when it comes in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts