Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Does anyone else have trouble whith grip in the wet? I have never driven a bike that handles so badly, it's like driving on ice! I have only had the bike 2 Months so i am not sure if this is normal(although i would be very supprised). Has anyone got any advise, as i am going to change the tryes and not sure what to fit? Would a wider back tyre help and if so what make and size would you reccomend?

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

·
Registered
74 Posts
variables

Hi.

There are alot of variables when riding in wet weather, as I've found out. Amount of water on the roads, type and amount of tread on the tires, and riding style play a big part. How are the treads on your tires ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not great, but i have ridden on worse in the past. I think i should probably change them both and then at least i know where i am starting from? What do you think.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
What kind of bike are you used to? If it's a sport bike, that might explain some of the feeling. Our bikes handle pretty good with good tires, but never to be compared to a sport bike as far as handling in dry or wet weather. I've never had my bike slip in wet weather, but I doubt anyone is more careful than I am when it's wet.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I've had my share of rain rides, one about a month after I got the bike.
Can't say I've ever felt uncomfortable about it (with decent tires on the bike).
Right now my rear tire is pretty well worn, so if there's a chance of rain, there's also the chance I won't be riding. Got a new one waiting to be put on, so after this weekend, if it's raining, and I wanna ride, I'll be riding !!!
I have the Dunlop 491 Elite II. I like it because it has a continuos channel around it for evacuating water. Plus I like the raised white letters.

As for a wider tire, the widest that'll fit the rear of the Vulcan is the 170 series, but I don't think that'll make much difference. Afterall, there's just the tiny contact patch no matter how wide.

Your problem may be with the power the bike has. It is one of the quickest in it's class. Maybe you just need to be a little softer on the throttle?

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
How OLD are your tires? Since you state the tread isn't in great shape and it sounds like you just got the bike - there's a possibility you're riding on old dry rubber.

I know when I got my bike it had old tires (around 10 years old) that had good tread but were dried out. I changed tires pretty quick (not quick enough to avoid a slip and slide...) and the difference is night and day.

I highly recommend the metzler ME880's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your advise. My last bike was a Triumph Trident 900 sports tourer, so there are significant handling differences but i think i have allowed for that. Curtis, i think you may have hit the nail on the head. I have just had a closer look and the side walls are a little split and dry. So it looks like a new set of boots! Currently running on Pirelli Route 150/90-15. So does every one reccommend the Metzler ME880'S?

·
Registered
77 Posts
If I had it all over again I would have fiited Dunlops like Hyperbuzzin, but I didn't know they were available. I've got Avons on and they are fine and I ride in the rain - I do slow down a lot though. I also agree this isn't the kind of bike you can flip from side to side as you wind round corners at speed. On the tight little roundabouts we have here in the UK I generally slide my bum forward and lean back and I seem to fit in with the bike much more like that and I can feel better how it is taking the road. Maybe its just an illusion

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
One other thing I really like about the Dunlop Elite II's is that they are designed as a touring tire, so they last a long time, yet still have plenty of grip.
When I ordered the last one, the guy at the parts desk looked at me kinda funny and said "You put that on your Vulcan?, Well, I guess you wont be needing another one anytime soon"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts