Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2001 VN750. Previous owner said he uses 93 octane, is this the proper gas to use, or can one use regular (87 octant)?

Thanks for any reply.

·
Geek
872 Posts
Regular works just fine.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
87 octane is what the manual recommends to use.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
use good old 87, it runs fine... personally i run 89/91 though. i've noticed that i get about 2-3 mpgs extra on freeway, no change in city. with the 93 though u will have to run sea foam more often as it seems to gunk up the carbs.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I use 87, no probs.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Gas....

I was running 93 all the time until I read in here that 87 works just as well. I have been using 87 for several tanks and saw no difference at all, other than the few extra $$ in my wallet. I did, however just run some Seafoam through my bike and did see a difference, so the high octane must have been adding some carbon or gunk to my system. One more reason why these bikes ROCK!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I'm pretty sure the manual does say something about a higher number octane, but that number isn't the one that the gas stations in the USA go by.
They go by the RON(Research Octane Number) + MON(Motor Octane Number) / 2 , or usually shown on the pump as (R+M)/2.
I got this from Wikipedia....
87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-95 (regular) in Europe.

·
Now what
400 Posts
hyperbuzzin said:
I'm pretty sure the manual does say something about a higher number octane, but that number isn't the one that the gas stations in the USA go by.
They go by the RON(Research Octane Number) + MON(Motor Octane Number) / 2 , or usually shown on the pump as R+M/2.
I got this from Wikipedia....
87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-95 (regular) in Europe.
It's called the Antiknock Index number in the MOM.

Reactions: Pick

·
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner
261 Posts
hyperbuzzin said:
They go by the RON(Research Octane Number) + MON(Motor Octane Number) / 2 , or usually shown on the pump as R+M/2.
Hyper is exactly right with this post. Well said, man! This question comes up all the time -- now all we will need to do is cut and paste the next time.

87 is the correct octane to use. Actually, you should use the lowest octane you can find that doesn't cause "pinging." If you experience pinging under load, then move up to the next higher grade. Otherwise, stay with "regular" 87.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I did make a slight edit to that post. I forgot the ( ) around the R+M. :doh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts