Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of putting Orleans' engine back in the frame, and realized I'd forgotten to solder the pickup coil wires on the harness (bought a used wiring harness on eBay and the seller had cannibalized that set of wires). Soldered 'em well enough, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the male ends out of the connector to put shrink tubing on. Soooo, I used a lot of electrical tape. Is that ok, or is there some magical property to shrink tubing that it should be on those wires? (also, if someone could tell me how to get the male ends out, that'd be cool....)

Secondly, I reassembled the engine, got the right hand crankcase cover on, it's all "Right Stuffed" and everything (did that Friday). Then realized (clearly, I'm having sequencing issues...) that I hadn't put the coolant pipe back in place. Clymer's suggests that it can be put in even after the cover is on the bike, but for the life of me, I don't know how. The two ends are also different - anyone know which one goes up to the cylinders, and which one goes down to the crankcase?

<sigh> The Reconstruction of Orleans is just not gonna be easy... :hitanykey

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Wish I could help ya here, Cindy, but it was probably over 1000 post's ago that you'd already done more with the Vulcan than I have!! LOL

I'll try to hone in on your frustrations (I guess I could use proper Vulcan terminology and say 'Mind Meld' with ya
LOL) and get an idea for an appropriate avatar for ya!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I prefer heat shrink because electrical tape glue tends to loosen when it get hot in my experience. It also leaves a residue when it is removed. Electrical tape to me is good enough. Heat shrink leaves a impression of quality. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I prefer heat shrink because electrical tape glue tends to loosen when it get hot in my experience. It also leaves a residue when it is removed. Electrical tape to me is good enough. Heat shrink leaves a impression of quality. Just my opinion.
Once I started using shrink tubing, I kinda preferred it, too, for all the reasons you stated. Any tips on pulling the leads out of the connector housing??

·
Registered
387 Posts
There is a silicon stretch tape you can use. It bonds to itself without adhesive and is suppose to make a water tight seal. Withstands temps to 500 degrees. You can find it in the plumbing section at home depot. I've used it to wrap electrical connections and to fix a leaking water joint.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I'll see if I can find that tape - definitely sounds better than all the stuff I slapped on the solder points last night.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I'll take a look tonight. That was the first thing I had to deal with when I bought my bike . That right side case was leaking, so to replace that I also had to remove and install that pipe. I'll let you know.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll take a look tonight. That was the first thing I had to deal with when I bought my bike . That right side case was leaking, so to replace that I also had to remove and install that pipe. I'll let you know.
Thanks, Jason. So far a rubber mallet hasn't done the trick...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just took a look at the motor i toasted on the way to carlisle, and on the pipe, the flared end of the pipe runs into the sidecover. So far as I can see, that's the only difference in them, but you're right, it's probably a significant one!

-Kenny-

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
As for the pipe, it does look like it'd be a bit tricky to do with everything together.
This is the one with two o-rings on each end?

Have ya tried putting the o-rings in one hole, and at the other end put the o-rings on the pipe. Then apply some silicone lube and try to work things back together?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, flared end into the sidecover (i.e., "down") and longish open end into the main engine block? I can do that...maybe.

Hyper, i'll try your suggestions. I was afraid that if I put the o-rings in there and then tried to jam the pipe in (wrong ends in the wrong places) that I'd send the rings into the crankcase, never to be seen again. So I'll try your approach, and lube the heck out of the pipe itself. Failing taht, I may have to pry the sidecover back to install, and then re-Stuff the gasket.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I was afraid that if I put the o-rings in there and then tried to jam the pipe in (wrong ends in the wrong places) that I'd send the rings into the crankcase, never to be seen again. So I'll try your approach, and lube the heck out of the pipe itself. Failing taht, I may have to pry the sidecover back to install, and then re-Stuff the gasket.
Yeah, that wouldn't be good. Didn't really think of that :doh:
Nice of Clymers to suggest it could be done, but not tell ya how!!
It's probably like those bent up pieces of metal links that ya try and try to seperate.... seems impossible.... but in the end there's an easy solution.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey! You can't put puzzles on and not have 'em be interactive! That's gonna bug me all day now. :) But you're absolutely right - it's probably not something that can be forced, just needs to be finessed.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I totally had to Finess the rings to keep them from wanting to sqweez out while it went in. Sorry, I got some news last night that took most of the evening. But Hyper sounds right. Just be carefull with the rubber rings. I ripped one putting mine back in. I had the bottom ones on the pipe and the top in the hole... If I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I totally had to Finess the rings to keep them from wanting to sqweez out while it went in. Sorry, I got some news last night that took most of the evening. But Hyper sounds right. Just be carefull with the rubber rings. I ripped one putting mine back in. I had the bottom ones on the pipe and the top in the hole... If I remember correctly.
Thanks, Jason. Hang in there - I know you've got a lot going on, and folks here are sending good thoughts your way.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I know you've got a lot going on, and folks here are sending good thoughts your way.
That we are.
Thought's and prayer's are at full throttle for ya Vulcaneer Brother!! :huddle:

I had a pic I was going to post, but it was with the cell and didn't turn out too good :doh:
For the pipe predicament....
Is there a shoulder on the pipe that holds the o-rings in? (couldn't find that thing anywhere in the parts fiche!?)
If not, is it possible to put the o-rings at the bend of the pipe, put the pipe into position, then push the o-rings into place?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
For the pipe predicament....
Is there a shoulder on the pipe that holds the o-rings in? (couldn't find that thing anywhere in the parts fiche!?)
If not, is it possible to put the o-rings at the bend of the pipe, put the pipe into position, then push the o-rings into place?
That's a really good question. If there is a shoulder, it's a really narrow one 'cause every time I've tried to insert the pipe, the rings pop out around it. Last night I decided to move the engine block over towards the frame (my better half said, "Hey, wouldn't it have been easier just to move that empty frame over to the block?" :BLAM: ). Anyway, I spent the rest of the evening just cleaning up the block - still lots of junk on there, plus extra Right Stuff that oozed through. I'm gonna see if I can get the engine mounted tonight, and then I'll have a little more to work with in terms of the coolant pipe (the engine kept sliding away from me on the work station). I think you're right, Hyper, that it's like one of those &*(@#% puzzles!!

Jason, thanks for the pic - I'm not seeing any o-ring splootage, so looks like you did a good job getting it back in there. I'll aim for a similar set-up once the pipe's in.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
It's one of those things that once it goes in it's in. The problem is getting it in! lol The pipe is in the fiche, its under "Radiator". It's a coolant line & in the fiche it's called "Pipe" #32033C. There is definatly a small sholder that holds the ring in. You can see it in the pic. And I'm pretty sure I had the bottom o-rings on the pipe first and put the rings into the hole on the block, then slide the pipe in. My problem wasn't gettint the pipe in. I could do that. It was keeping the o-rings in place, they wanted to sqweez out.

P.S. Thanks for the support!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm only being a little facetious, but why can't I just put each end of the pipe in, and then seal those locations with a lot of Right Stuff? Mostly asking out of curiosity, although by the end of the weekend it might be desperation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts