Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I decided to do some modifications to my turn signals and relocate my helmet locks due to the saddlebags.I couldn't use the helmet locks and the turnsignals made it hard to open the saddlebags.So I ended up shortening the turn signal stems and moving the helmet locks to the sides of the"trunk".

Attachments

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Looks good Brian :smiley_th

·
Registered
415 Posts
How did you shorten the turn signals?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I cut the flexable section out filed the two half to make sure they were straight and then cut a papermate pen to size and used that to slide in the wiring hole in the center of the stems for support.I beveled around the center holes and used Plasti-weld epoxy to hold it all together.Held them in the vise for about half an hour smoothed and excess off with 1200 grit sandpaper and sprayed it with some rattle can black and they were done and real solid.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks!! It was real easy to do,and made a big difference in looks(turn signals sagged when it was hot out)and a lot easier to open the saddlebags when they are on!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Reviving an old thread

Hey BMan, I know that you replaced your turn signals but how did the shortened ones hold up?

My back ones are dry rotted pretty bad and sag just with their own weight. I've looked at some aftermarket signals, but until I can figure out a way to mount them to the stock holes I'm stuck with what I have.

Oh, and I don't know if you found a place for your helmet locks since you removed your trunk/tool box, but here's where I ended up putting mine. Either side works fine with a half helmet, if you wear a full face the right side works good and it's high enough that the helmet doesn't contact the head pipe.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Sagging signal lights...??? I was wondering if you could switch sides and reverse the sagging... Will that work, or can you even switch them...???
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
236 Posts
That's not a bad idea, but I think mine would sag either way. They're that far gone. I had a guy that I work with tell me the other day that the rear signals flop around when I hit a bump, it's just a matter of time before one breaks and I'm stuck trying to rig something up to get home.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Big T,What I did was cut the ribbed section out of the signals,then used a bic pen tube I cut to lenght slid that around the wires and into the center hole and slid the two parts back together wraped some self stick mesh spackle tape around the outside and used plasti-weld epoxy to hold it all together.Once the plasti-weld was dry smoothed it out with sand paper and painted them.And I'm still trying to figure out a place for the helmet locks.your Idea is a great spot but that's where I relocated my horns too.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
And I'm still trying to figure out a place for the helmet locks.your Idea is a great spot but that's where I relocated my horns too.
What about mounting the helmet locks on the license plate?
Just be sure to put something like a steel plate behind it to stiffen it up a bit.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I was looking at last night Hyper,but the new plate/taillight mount would make it real hard to do it the way it's made.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks BMan. I'd still like to go with a different style eventually, but in the mean time I think cutting out the ribbed section would work.

On the helmet lock issue, I can't think of a good place to mount them with all of the mods that you've don to your ride. Maybe on the quick detach backrest, but that would only be available when it's actually on the bike, and if it's too easily detached the locks might not be doing any good other than a place to hang your lid from. Idunno, that's a tough one.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
That's what I was looking at last night Hyper,but the new plate/taillight mount would make it real hard to do it the way it's made.
Oh, that's right. :doh:
Hmmm, what about making something to mount them to the fork tubes or one of the triple clamps?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I was thinking about up front too.I'll have to look when I get the headlight/turnsignal mount I made back from my polishing buddy,or I was looking this morning at the fender struts and thinking about maybe mounting them in the spots between the seat and side covers in that corner towards the rear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts