Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I let my bike sit for a few days since the temp dropped again. When I went to start it up today it would crank but acted like it had no spark. I checked the plugs and they were wet with fuel, checked and they all have spark. Thought maybe the grounds were cruddy so I cleaned all those and still the same result. This is my first bike in probably 15 years so im kinda learning things all over again. I'm stumped right now so any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Sounds like it might have been flooded. Spark with wet plugs.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm that might be the issue then. I have a video of it turning over and there's not even an attempt to fire. Just cranks

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
When it's flooded, holding the throttle wide open until it fires will usually clear it, without the choke.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,314 Posts
Ok I will try that tomorrow
Does it emit a really loud, gunshot like backfire?

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No,. But I got it running finally. Pretty sure my stator is shot when I checked the ohms to ground they were fine but doing the ohms between the 3 wires was above spec so pretty sure I have an open lead in the stator.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
What were the readings?

Should be 0 or no connection on the ground test.

I would expect a very high number on the resistance test for it to be a failure.

Did you test AC voltage output on the stator leads? Looking for 30-60v AC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ground test was 0 but testing the from one lead to another was high. Manual I have says should be something like .3 to .5 resistance between the leads. I was getting around .8

·
Registered
635 Posts
The ground test was 0 but testing the from one lead to another was high. Manual I have says should be something like .3 to .5 resistance between the leads. I was getting around .8
Those are really difficult resistances for meters to measure, since most meters are also measuring the resistance of their own wires. The best way to measure resistances <10 ohms is to first measure what the meter reads when the two meter leads are touching each other. This is the resistance of the meter wires (say 0.5 for example). Then measure what you're trying to measure and subtract the first reading from it. Your 0.8 sounds like it could be just right for resistance of the meter and the stator leads.

I don't know if the manual is accounting for meter lead resistance or not when they suggest 0.3-0.5 resistance.

Also check open circuit voltage (as Spockster said) and charging voltage.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Yes, I would check those ac volts before replacing the stator.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. I'm just guessing if the stator isn't bad I have a short somewhere. The plug going into the regulator gets really hot within a minute or two of the bike running. I'll have to do some more testing when I get a free moment

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so I re checked the ohms after checking the initial resistance of my leads,. That checks fine. But the ac volts at idle are only at 22-23. Is that normal or should it be higher?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok. I think I might have to rewire the stator then because the bullet connections are all crispy looking and I'm guessing have some corosion in them cause when the stator leads are connected the plug to the r/r gets really hot but just now when I tested with them unplugged it wasn't hot at all 🤷

1 - 17 of 17 Posts