Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Now what
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Learned this the hard way two days ago. Had the bike fall off the kickstand. Even though I put the kickstand down all the way, I set it near a small crack in the drive that had some grass in it. Started the bike and went to the garage to put some gear on. Bike warmed up and started reving high like it usually does. I went back to adjust the choke. I just touched the choke lever, and down she went. Total surprise because I distinctly remember putting down the stand and seeing where it was on the ground. I figure it vibrated enough to move into that crack, compress the grass and because I didn't have the wheel turned to the side, it rolled forward enough to fold the kickstand.:doh: If the wheel had been turned, I don't believe it could have moved forward. Broke the LH step and the support for the PF3 popped out on the left side. Won't know for sure if that's screwed or not until I can take the bike out and see what happens at speed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I my self has had this happen to me so now center stand it goes from now on hope every thing is ok with the bike

·
Addicted to Projects
545 Posts
Hope the bike is OK.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hope the bike is OK. Don't feel bad. A week after getting my VN750, I parked on a slight downhill (that's right, a downhill, don't ask why), put down the kickstand and started to get off the bike. It started going down and I barely held on and kept if off the ground. Pulled out my back for 2 weeks but it was worth it. I don't always turn the front wheel though when I park, now I will. Good luck with the repairs!

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
... Broke the LH step and the support for the PF3 popped out on the left side....
I'm really sorry to hear about your mishap. In a similar incident, I had a close call when I picked up my bike from the dealer. I started it while standing beside it, assuming that the bike was in neutral. It wasn't! (The mechanic had parked it and left it in first gear.) I barely caught it when it jumped forward!

My bike has fallen over twice in my driveway -- once to the left, and once to the right -- and in both instances my PF3 took the brunt of the fall and prevented the bike itself from being damaged. (The wings of the shield are a bit scuffed, but that's a small price to pay!)
:doh:

·
Registered
802 Posts
My PF2 is scarred pretty bad on the left side. Did the same thing. Started it and turned around. Was just about to put my pack on it when it fell.

·
Kawika
441 Posts
I always turn the wheel to the lock position (left) when using the sidestand since it dropped a couple times....have not had any new drops since doing this for the last year or so...even when it's running and on a very slight downward slope like my driveway.

·
Now what
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PF stands for PlexiFairing. It's a windshield that fits the bike. The 3 has lowers that the 2 doesn't.

Thanks for the concerns. Bike should be ok once I replace the step. It's on order and should be here in a week or two. This is a good time of the year for this since the good weather's gone south leaving us with fog/mist in the morning and rain in the afternoon.

·
carbon unit
369 Posts
I have this rule. If its not on level ground and on the center stand, it doesn't get started until I'm sitting on it.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I have this rule. If its not on level ground and on the center stand, it doesn't get started until I'm sitting on it.
Another good rule (that by the way I don't always use) is, when the engine is not on. The rule when parking down hill to leave in gear. Remember that it is in gear when starting up again.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Another good rule (that by the way I don't always use) is, when the engine is not on. The rule when parking down hill to leave in gear. Remember that it is in gear when starting up again.
Well, you should never hit the starter button unless you see the green neutral light. (Green is Go!)

And don't say you can start the bike in gear with the clutch lever pulled in...you can, but you shouldn't.

I thought everyone knew to turn the wheel to the LEFT when the bike is on the side stand (and you ain't on it) ...so, sorry , bad way to learn this Ironman.

You also should never start the bike and walk away from it, or start it and leave it unattended by going in the house or something. The choke can cause the engine speed to rise more than it should it should when the bike is still somewhat cold and ...It also makes stealing the bike so much easier for someone.
And contrary to what some may think, most motorcycles are in fact more "stable" on the sidestand than the centerstand...as long as you are on solid level ground.

Always check the location of the sidestands foot before letting the bike rest on it, I have seen big bikes topple from a tiny pebble caught under the foot.

KM

·
carbon unit
369 Posts
I thought everyone knew to turn the wheel to the LEFT when the bike is on the side stand (and you ain't on it)

KM
I learned this when I first got my vulcan it almost went down. never had that problem with my Yama xt250g, my Honda 350 or the Electra (push rod thumper).

most motorcycles are in fact more "stable" on the sidestand than the centerstand...as long as you are on solid level ground.

KM
since you wrote most I'd have teh disagree.
I do however, agree with everthing else you wrote.
...Like uhm... don't rev high till it's warmed up more
thats good advice

·
Registered
47 Posts
EasyRector if your bike jumped forward when starting the bike while in gear your clutch switch is probably broke. I only know this because the same thing happened to me once and I have since replaced the switch. Read on here somewhere that the bike should do nothing if left in gear even with the key on. Very easy to do and not that expensive, around $15.00.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
..since you wrote most I'd have teh disagree.
I'll have to disagree with your disagreement here. Just about every bike I have seen that has a center stand, the rear wheel gets raised of the ground when it is deployed. The front wheel touches, and the only other two contacts are two the point of the centerstand, that are UNDER the bike. This forms a long narrow triangle with a base that measures between a foot and a foot and a half.

If you push the bike forward from the rear, it takes little engergy for it to roll forward off the stand, and then it would fall over. From side the bike needs little imput to get pushed over, compared to being on the sidestand where you almost have to push the whole weight of the bike up first, before it will fall over.

On the sidestand , and the bike in gear, it takes ALOT of energy to make move foreward enough to topple off the stand. The stance is now a tree point triangle with a wider base, and the weight more evenly centered.
Because the rear wheel is not only contacting the ground, but still has at the least 1/3 of the bikes weight on it, being in gear, it's very hard to move forward or backward.

This is just simple physics. Yes there may be a few bikes that have centerstands that are harder to push the bike off compared to their sidestand. but unless you can somehow lock the front brake when parking, MOST bikes will in fact be more stable, less likely to fall over when impacted in someway, when they are on their sidestand, in gear, and on solid level ground.

KM

·
carbon unit
369 Posts
heh :smiley_th well xplained point, guess I'll be leaving my vulcan in gear and on the side stand. Once I check it to make sure it's not warn out...I haven't been using the side stand much. Still going to put it on the center stand to start it tho

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
This is a problem with the Vulcans. My 500 before this and this 750, have side stands that don't go far enough forward so they collapse when the bike moves forward even a few inches. If the stand swing was 110 degrees instead of the current 90, it would be a lot harder for it to roll off the stand.

Regarding the starting in gear with the stand down, should be impossible since there is a safety switch that cuts the ignition when the stand is down and the clutch is out. Learned that on my 500 when I tried to pull away and had forgotten to pull the stand up. The bike kept stalling and when I figured it out I was a bit embarassed.

·
Registered
881 Posts
most of my bikes were dirtbikes with no stand. one time i was riding up a creek bed with some quads following me. one of the quads poped his chain so i leaned my kx500 up against a tree and proceeded to help being i was the only one carring tools. as i was removing the master link off the quad i heard a boom, i looked up and noticed my kx tipped over. next thing i noticed oil flowing down the creek from my bike, cracked the clutch sidecase. i ended up having to push the kx about 2 miles to the road.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
This is a problem with the Vulcans. My 500 before this and this 750, have side stands that don't go far enough forward so they collapse when the bike moves forward even a few inches. If the stand swing was 110 degrees instead of the current 90, it would be a lot harder for it to roll off the stand.

Regarding the starting in gear with the stand down, should be impossible since there is a safety switch that cuts the ignition when the stand is down and the clutch is out. Learned that on my 500 when I tried to pull away and had forgotten to pull the stand up. The bike kept stalling and when I figured it out I was a bit embarassed.
That is what I am talking about. Remember that it is in gear when restarting. I have tried to start my bike and it won't. Some times it takes me a little while to figure out why it won't start.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I'm not out looking at my bike and side-stand, but this make me wonder if you could just do a little grinding to the stand or it's stop so it could swing forward a little farther.

Just a thought...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts