Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turn signals used to shut off automatically, all of a sudden i have to do it manually. Anyone know why, love to put them right!:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
My turn signals used to shut off automatically, all of a sudden i have to do it manually. Anyone know why, love to put them right!:confused:
I take it you have an earlier model with the self cancelling signals.there is a part in the electrical system that calculates distance travelled and shuts off the signals from what I recall,although not 100% sure what it is called,sounds like it is bad to me, later models didn't have self canceling signals.

Some one else will chime in with more info,I'm sure or correct me if I am wrong.Which s very likely since I sold my manuals after I got the1500.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an 86 model Denny, don't quite understand " calculates distance travelled ". Does this mean when the bike straightens up?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
It's an 86 model Denny, don't quite understand " calculates distance travelled ". Does this mean when the bike straightens up?
No I think it works off the speedo drive. mine was a 92 and didn't have it,so i'm not sure if it is on the speedo or elsewhere,check the Verses or click on the search button above and type in the drop down "self cancelling signals" and see if you get a hit on the forum

EDIT:I searched it for you ,read this thread it is in the speedo head.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14210&highlight=canceling+signals

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was a great help denny, thanks! Maybe i shouldn't worry about them as they still work manually.

·
Registered
97 Posts
the distance sensor is built into the speedo. Thus if its bad I would think you'd need to replace with an old model speedo. I just checked the Kawasaki manual. I copied in the procedure in a whole post, but the damn internet at the university won't recognize that I have Linux and dont need their bs network security. I'll try to post the procedure later... class is about to start

·
Registered
97 Posts
Also, I have a speedo off an 85 700 (the 700A and 750 A1, A2, A3, and A4 models had this feature). I never used the bike, so I'm not sure if the distance sensor is good. Might be... I could dig it up

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's great Bazooka, have a good day! I will try to examine all parts first as the bike has been stored for some time, maybe a good clean and a spray of WD 40 might do the trick!:beerchug:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok, factory procedure is:

"Check all the wiring connections carefully, and then inspect the distance sensor and turn signal switch/solenoid assembly. If all these are good, replace the turn signal control unit."

And then it says

-Remove the speedometer cable lower end from front axle.
-Open up the headlight
-Pull off the brown connector and the red lead to connect an ohmmeter across to the light green lead in the brown connector and the red lead.
-Turn the speedometer cable slowly and count how many times the sensor shows continuity. It should show continuity 4 times per turn.
-If it does not, replace the speedometer unit.

Hope this helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts