Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2004 kawasaki vulcan 750a that needs a little bit of work. I noticed that the turn signals behave like hazards when i signal either left or right. The hazards work as they should. These are not led lights, as i have already replaced all the bulbs. I am not a mechanic, this is my first bike so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Could be a few things, wiring, the relay or maybe the switch on the handle bar. Have you tried anything to narrow it down?

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Could be a few things, wiring, the relay or maybe the switch on the handle bar. Have you tried anything to narrow it down?
No i havent, havent had a chance yet. Gonna disconnect each one to see if its the actual unit
The wiring for each light is separate. The turn signal switch engages each circuit for each side. The hazard switch on top activates both circuits together. From a connection point that would make the most sense as to what’s causing the issue (as in it’s not fully disengaged). I personally have not opened that switch up but I know the choke cable routes through that switch housing and from what I understand there are springs in there that could pop loose so be cautious before popping it open.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No i havent, havent had a chance yet. Gonna disconnect each one to see if its the actual unit
The wiring for each light is separate. The turn signal switch engages each circuit for each side. The hazard switch on top activates both circuits together. From a connection point that would make the most sense as to what’s causing the issue (as in it’s not fully disengaged). I personally have not opened that switch up but I know the choke cable routes through that switch housing and from what I understand there are springs in there that could pop loose so be cautious before popping it open.
The hazard light switch works light it is supposed to. I have limited electrical knowledge, but it sounds like there is a wire crossed somewhere. Do you know if it is a single wire out if the switch down to the battery? This may not be as complicated as I thought. I wonder if buying a new switch is easier.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The way switches like these are designed (physical distance between the contacts for the left and right) it's probably not the turn signal switch. It's possible the hazard switch contacts for right/left are fused, but it's more likely a wiring thing. Dark green getting crossed with gray near the handlebars.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take a look at this thread. The wiring diagram is embedded. I can’t say there’s a “single wire” as the circuits cover the switch, the turn signal bulbs, and the turn signal indicators. Also the front signals also have the line for daytime running lights, the rear signals do not.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/80817-color-wiring-diagram.html#/topics/80817
The way switches like these are designed (physical distance between the contacts for the left and right) it's probably not the turn signal switch. It's possible the hazard switch contacts for right/left are fused, but it's more likely a wiring thing. Dark green getting crossed with gray near the handlebars.

So, i actually took off the front turn signals. It seems the last owner (I assume) installed 2 wire lights and spliced the drl wire with the positive wire. I took them out and ordered a 3 wire set

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take a look at this thread. The wiring diagram is embedded. I can’t say there’s a “single wire” as the circuits cover the switch, the turn signal bulbs, and the turn signal indicators. Also the front signals also have the line for daytime running lights, the rear signals do not.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/80817-color-wiring-diagram.html#/topics/80817

So, i actually took off the front turn signals. It seems the last owner (I assume) installed 2 wire lights and spliced the drl wire with the positive wire. I took them out and ordered a 3 wire set

1 - 13 of 13 Posts