Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

turn signal problems

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  rubyrick 
#1 ·
I've been reading through some of the posts and I can't find one that has a problem like this. Both the rear and front right turn signals are fine. However, when I put the left turn signal on, it blinks a lot faster than the right and only the rear signal blinks. The light on the front left singal is on but it won't blink (well very VERY faintly!) I don't know that much about wiring but could it be that a wire is loose somewhere?

Also, is this a problem that will not pass inspection? If it isn't then I won't worry about it too much but if it is, I will obviously have to fix it.

#2 ·
If the front signal filiment is burned out then the other signal will blink fast to let you know there's a problem. The front running light can be good but the blinker filiment can be burned.

Also, Do you have LED turn signals in the rear and stock bulb signals in front? LEDs will blink faster. But I think the above statement describes your problem.

#3 ·
Look for corrsion in the sockets, and replace the bulbs. Often wierd blinker problems can be solved with new bulbs even if the old aren't burned out. My bike had a LOT of rust in the sockets that caused ground problems, and I had a similar situation to yours.

#7 · (Edited)
Sounds like I should replace them so that what I plan on doing.

However, I've been thinking about putting in LEDs. I've been looking for LEDs and I can't find that much that have 3 wire connections. I would like to to have the lights on at all times but most of the LEDs are only have 2 wire connections. Does anyone else have LEDs on their bike?

#8 ·
....However, I've been thinking about putting in LEDs. Is it worth it?
That depends on what your goals are. I replaced my turn signals with LED super bright 1.85" clusters from Radiantz. My goals were; increase safety and reduce load on the charging system. I even made a second brake light (mounted on the back of the sissy bar) using two clusters and a trailer lens. The LEDs are much brighter than the stock bulbs, instant on (no incandescent bulb build-up or decay) and use a fraction of the power (less load on the charging system/battery). Also, everyone comments that the second brake light gets their attention.

However, you will also have to replace the flasher unit to a no-load version to supports LEDs. Otherwise, the stock thermal flasher will blink faster than normal because it thinks a bulb is blown (due to the low power consumption of the LED).

#10 ·
Or you can use THIS ONE which came highly recommended by another member here. Just remove the wiring harness from the flasher and it's a direct swap out for our stock flasher unit.

#12 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.