Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, thanks in advance for any help. This is my first bike and I'm by no means a mechanic or an electrician but I like to try myself and learn with help when I can. I have an 05 I'm having an issue with my turn signals. My left turn signal bulb was blown when I purchased my bike and the bulb had been stuck so I recently tried to pry it out which in turn messed up the housing to where a new bulb would no longer stay in place. The bike has the stock front but after market rear lights both incandescent bulbs. The right side works fine when switching on lights up, blinks regularly but the left side makes a buzzing sound and the rear bulb stays lit. I figure it's telling me the front bulb is blown. So seeing as I can't put a new bulb in the front left I just bought new LED front turn signals.
This is the issue....
I hooked the new front left LED turn signal up. The running light comes on but when I switch the blinker on it makes that same buzzing noise and the rear stays lit just like before. The stock right front is still connected at this time still and works as it should so I'm confused as to what might be the issue.
Just to see what would happen I connected the new LED right side signal (the working side) and the same thing happened...running lights but when switching on buzzing noise and rear signal stays lit.
I've read on some post it could be I need a new relay? Or possibly a grounding issue? But it's hard deciphering as my problem doesn't seem the same as most of what I'm reading nor do I really have any idea how one goes down the path of fixing those solutions mentioned. Tomorrow I'll be working on it and can upload pics of what I'm doing if need be. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
led's dont draw enough current to properly operate the stock flasher unit. hit up the local car parts store, and get an EP34 (I believe that the right number). plug and play replacement for our stock flasher unit, but its solid state, so it will work regardless of the load

·
Registered
129 Posts
led's dont draw enough current to properly operate the stock flasher unit. hit up the local car parts store, and get an EP34 (I believe that the right number). plug and play replacement for our stock flasher unit, but its solid state, so it will work regardless of the load
Or fit inline resistors to the value of the resistance of the original bulbs!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK that's what I was hoping but I had read somewhere that having just front LED signals and incandescent backs drew enough power?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,268 Posts
yup.EP34

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spockster

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome thanks a lot guys. Will be going to Auto zone here shortly and get back to y'all with results!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a break in the rain today and made the trip to Auto parts. Had the relay and it worked perfectly. Thanks again Y'all. Now to paint the front light housing to match the black lights!

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
Or fit inline resistors to the value of the resistance of the original bulbs!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

That works, but eliminates the power savings of LEDs. For a quite a while, that was the only method available. Still is if you can't get an LED flasher for your system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts