Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing some custom work on my 2000 VN750 and moving all the turn signals to new locations. I would like some ideas on how to cover the original mounting holes. I believe there was an older post regarding plates built just for this purpose but I can not find that post at this time. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Don't know about this, but there are these pop in chrome caps for allen head screws, if the right size might work for you...??? Didn't mean to answer a question with a question, but just thought it might be worth checking on, if that is something like you were asking about...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
I was left with those holes after I moved the turn signals, and what I ended up doing was covering them with aluminum muffler tape. Found some that looked like "chrome" and cut them to size.

Figured if the adhesive let go after a while I'd just cut out another pair, given that the roll was about 20 feet.

You can also cover them with a loop of leather and a "concho"...if you like that look.

KM

·
Registered
483 Posts
Vulcan- What did you end up doing to cover the holes up?.. And how did you like it?

Knifemaker- Is the muffler tape still holding? Would you still reccomend that as a fix?

Thanks Guys.. About to install saddle bags and relocate the turn signals after I get all my ducks in a row.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I was left with those holes after I moved the turn signals, and what I ended up doing was covering them with aluminum muffler tape. Found some that looked like "chrome" and cut them to size.

Figured if the adhesive let go after a while I'd just cut out another pair, given that the roll was about 20 feet.

You can also cover them with a loop of leather and a "concho"...if you like that look.

KM
Good solutions/ modifications .......Creative thinking....
:beerchug:
WilliamTech

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Knifemaker- Is the muffler tape still holding? Would you still reccomend that as a fix?
I know it was still there after 8 months, but as I sold the bike I have no idea on how much longer it went without needing replacement.

As I mentioned, there are alternatives. You can fill the hole with epoxy and stick a reflector there, a large concho from a leather shop or some other home made cover.

Or just leave the hole there. Saddlebags sometimes cover it, and you can't see it when riding anyway...........

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
can you just put a chrome bolt and nut on the back side and call it bling?

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
The front signals are on the headlight bracket, you should be able to find a small reflector or something to stick over the holes. The rear signals will be more of a problem, as the mounting location is a boss cast into the rear seat rails, and it would be difficult to find something that looked clean to cover them with. I have Kawasaki's saddlebag mount/turn signal relocating brackets, and they cover the mounting location very nicely. I am picky about such details, when I installed these brackets, the helmet locks had to be removed, leaving the ugly mounting plates. Since I don't use helmet locks, and planned on throwing them away, I removed the seat rails, and used a Dremel to cut off the mounting plates, and grind everything smooth. You can no longer tell there was anything there.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys.. Lots a great ideas... But I think I'm gonna have to stay away from the bling :)

It seems to me I should take this problem one stage at a time.. Decide which saddlebags to go with because it seems some do not need the turn signals relocated as others do...

I believe to start things up I am either going with a set of bags KM pointed out

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/5045/ITEM/Dowco-Rally-Pack-Value-Saddlebags.aspx?WT.MC_ID=54006&SiteId=10559669-4142124-

OR a set Kc2dgq is currently looking at.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/124/34268/ITEM/MotoCentric-Cruiser-Slanted-Saddlebags.aspx?SITEID=Google_MotoCentric_Cruiser_Slanted_Saddlebags&WT.mc_ID=10001&WT.srch=1&esvt=GOUSE340914732&esvadt=999999-0-4008180-1&esvid=400070&WT.MC_ID=54006&SiteId=10559669-4142124-

and if I need to relocate the turn signals this appears to be one valid uption..

From what other forum members are saying this is not only saddlebag supports but it also includes everything you need to relocate the rear turn signals.. And from what I can tell in the picture it would cover up the old holes naturally.
http://www.accessories4bikes.com/saddlebag-supports-p-1537.html

this seems like a good option UNLESS.. KM wants to make me one of his Turn Signal relocation brackets he put on his Vulcan... I do like the location and look of his I just don't currently possess the tools to fabricate it.

Thanks Again Guys.. Will be moving on this pretty soon. Any feedback as always is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
and if I need to relocate the turn signals this appears to be one valid uption..

From what other forum members are saying this is not only saddlebag supports but it also includes everything you need to relocate the rear turn signals.. And from what I can tell in the picture it would cover up the old holes naturally.
http://www.accessories4bikes.com/saddlebag-supports-p-1537.html

Will be moving on this pretty soon. Any feedback as always is appreciated.
I thought those relocation/bag support combos were no longer available, but if you find one, it is definitely plug and play.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
and if I need to relocate the turn signals this appears to be one valid uption.. From what other forum members are saying this is not only saddlebag supports but it also includes everything you need to relocate the rear turn signals.. And from what I can tell in the picture it would cover up the old holes naturally. [url said:
http://www.accessories4bikes.com/saddlebag-supports-p-1537.html[/url]
Let me just clarify that I already have a similar setup on my 06. the signal relocation kit I got from the dealer is very similar to the one in the link, but mine has the helmet locks relocated to the rear of the bracket, just behind the new location of the blinkers.

If you didn't do the signal relocation yet, I am not sure those slanted bags would fit.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Let me just clarify that I already have a similar setup on my 06. the signal relocation kit I got from the dealer is very similar to the one in the link, but mine has the helmet locks relocated to the rear of the bracket, just behind the new location of the blinkers.

If you didn't do the signal relocation yet, I am not sure those slanted bags would fit.

Gotcha... Thanks for the heads up... Did you go to a Kawasaki Dealership to get your kit that had the helmet locks w/ them?

Think I will have to get the bags and go from there but I would imagine your are correct.

Thanks, and thanks again Ill let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I got my extended backrest and saddle bag support/signal relocation kit from the Kawasaki dealer when I purchased the bike in 07. I don't know if they still sell them, but the support and bracket for the saddle bag has the cutout and drilled holes already on it for the helmet locks. They face the rear of the bike just behind the new location of the signals.
I would love to actually see how some of these bags fit and look on this setup before I order a set of saddle bags. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of places around here to actually see saddle bags and try them out other than a Harley shop. I am not interested in a over priced set of branded Harley bags.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts