Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2005 Vulcan 750 on Friday. The shop where I bought it had just got it in on trade in and hadn't done an inspection or setup on it. Since they just got it I got what I think is a good deal on it. It had 12,403 miles on it so obviously it sat a lot. The shop did replace the carb jets and seals and got it running.
The tech said that he noticed that the turn signals weren't working. I rode it home (only 5 miles) in a slight rain. It was the first time I had ridden a motorcycle in about 8 years. When I got it home the turn signals definitely weren't working. Spent some time on Saturday on VN750.com and started working on some of the troubleshooting steps suggested by members on here.
The fuses were all good. The connections to the turn signals were good. I finally decided that it was probably the Flasher relay and members mentioned the EP34 replacement. Got the replacement at AutoZone and went to take the old one out and there wasn't one. I found the empty connector tucked down beside the battery. That explained why they weren't working! The wiring to the connector looked like it was burned or possibly had battery acid spilled on it.

I stripped the tape off of the wires and cut out the bad section. I then spliced it backed together and taped everything up. Finally plugged in the EP34 and everything lit up. I now have flashers and turn signals again.
I couldn't find a good spot to put the relay and didn't want to leave it just bouncing around and dangling loose. Does anyone have advice on a good way to "mount" it more securely? Double-sided tape? Zip-Tie? Gorilla Glue? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Glad you got it fixed up.

I'd recommend two parallel zip-ties or a hose clamp.
Either way, stick a bit of rubber sheeting between the strap, the relay, and the frame. That'll keep the relay from working it's way free AND protect the paint from getting rubbed off of the frame. You can protect all surfaces by using an 'S' shape, the relay and frame inside each loop of the 'S', and the strap going around the whole shebang.

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts
Glad you got it sorted, Zip ties as Thorn suggested would be the easiest way to secure the relay

·
Know-It-All White-Trash
33 Posts
solder/heat shrink/tape

zip ties. if you can get a scrap of bicycle inter-tube around it or rubber electrical tape (not vinyl) before zip tying it will stay out better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wrapped a zip tie around it and then ran some electrical tape over the zip tie. Then ran a second zip tie through the first to make a harness and zipped it around the frame so it hung correctly. Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts