Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I've done my sleuthing properly, it seems that Kaw put a turn signal cancellation unit only on the 86 models. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, and one were to search for the proper used part, would one look for the relay? (I realize that there are companies that sell these kinds of units, but I thought that while I was looking, I'd make sure I was looking at the right thing.)

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I think there is some extra unit needed. IIRC, the wiring harness is different due to the extra part.

Maybe this part ??? Only used on '86 - '89, although the Vulcan history says the '89 didn't have them?
Description SWITCH,TURN SIGNAL OP
Price $89.64
P/N 27010-1153

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think there is some extra unit needed. IIRC, the wiring harness is different due to the extra part.
That could well be - I was thinking it was just a relay, and then a counter, but maybe not. And I actually tend not to forget to turn off my signals, I just thought it'd be cool to have a cancellation unit!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
According to the differences throught the years.....

Wiring harness
- '85-'88 have a Turn Signal Control unit
- '89- up Turn Signal Control unit eliminated.

- '85-'88 are NOT interchangeable with 1989 and up
Won't work by leaving the signal circuit open

It was Ron Ayers website that said it was on the '89 also. But I don't have a clue.

The one mentioned in the Verses sounds good, but expensive at $110....
Signalminder from Kisan Technologies, Their address is: www.kisantech.com
Model #SM-3M

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Hyper, that's great info about the wiring harnesses - I thought they were all interchangeable! Better see what I'm bidding on on eBay :D

I checked out the Kisan Tech ones - they look sweet, and the product also offers running lights, which is a great option. At $110, I really gotta think about it (definitely need one for my partner, who just totally forgets about the signal); I did see 'em (the SM-3M for our bikes) on eBay for $99, but shipping was nearly $17, so I imagine it all comes out in the wash.

On a completely different note, how ya comin' on the stator do-over?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I have the Kisan and have gone through 2 of them. ANYthing that shorts them out will destroy the electronics. I had the first one hooked up and a rough solder joint rubbed a hole and shorted. $100 down the drain. Make sure even if installing temporarily you use good heat shrink and seperate your slices by an inch. another route is to get some small conical springs, adjust them by cutting and install on each side of your TS switch slide. The springs will center the switch and turn your signals off when released.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
On a completely different note, how ya comin' on the stator do-over?
Slower than I should be :zzz:
I was hoping to get the frame I got from ebay cut up last weekend, but other things cut in line in front of that.

With the hopes of better weather on the way, I'd better get my butt in gear and get working on it.
But, with not having to do the engine pull, I'm thinking (hoping?!) it shouldn't take too long once I get into it.

Rckmtn, do ya think fuses would help in stopping the unit from shorting out?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes - that's all I need to do is flush money and mess up my electrical system! I think for the moment I'll fuhgetaboutit - sounds like on the risk/reward calculations, there's too much risk.

Sorry 'bout the slow stator re-do, Hyper, but that's the way with these things, huh? I waited all week for my replacement carb intake boots (a little "accident" befell the rear boot last week during the carb pull), and finally got 'em Friday. Hooray! But a winter storm was bearing in on DC, and I had to be here in CA to run some discussion groups with seniors starting tomorrow a.m. So had to move my flight up to yesterday afternoon, which meant no bike work. :( Brought along my Haynes carb manual and a book on motorcycle electronics/wiring, however, so I can do some book-learning at least!

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I have self cancellation signals on my Nomad. Freaking love them... But the bad thing is that now when I'm on my VN750, I totally forget to turn off my signals...

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Bulldog, are you using the Kisan Tech ones?
No. Self cancelling turn signals are stock / OEM on the Nomad. Sorry...

I looked at the Kisan Tech ones once upon a time for the VN750 and there was a reason I didn't like them besides the price. Unfortunatly, it's been many years now and I don't remember the reason anymore :(

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Fuses might help however ensure you figure current and don't overfuse. $100 is a lot to play with. I'll admit I loved my Kisans when they worked.

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
My new ride has self cancelling signals, but I'm so used to cancelling 'em myself, I never wait on it to work. I purposely waited once, and they take their sweet time in cancelling.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I like the ones they have on the Ninja's that are push button canceling. My 80 KZ550 had the left controls all rusted out so I bought a left control from a Ninja on ebay for cheap, like $12, and used a meter to ohm out all the wires and figure out what they were going to and wired it up. Worked great. If self cancelling is the ticket, then that's cool, but push button cancel is the next best thing. Don't know how it would wire up on the 750 tho.

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
Yep, yep, the cancel on the new Vulcans is just by pressing it, which is why I don't mind doing it myself since I'm used to doing it anyway...;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the Kisan Signalminder unit installed on my Stella scooter. On that bike I like it, but when I got my Vulcan 500 I put another Kisan Signalminder on it, but for some reason I didn't like it as well. When I got the vn750 I didn't even think about getting another one, and my old Honda CT-110 doesn't have one either, so I've learned to turn off the turnsignals :)

The Kisan product that I really like is their Pathblazer headlight modulator, I had one on the 500 and it really helps the bike to stand out. Getting one for the 750 is definately on the todo list. (got to get saddlebags first, running around with saddlebag supports without the saddlebags is kind of tacky)

-MikeS

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seems like most of the newer bikes have the push-button turn signal cancellation, but I've gotten used to having to do it "the old-fashioned way." Is there anything else on the market, though, that creates the "running lights" effect? That's gotta be one of the better aspects of the Kisan.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts