Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added some cheapo/generic turn signals to my VN700, and after a bit of troubleshooting, found a broken wire in the harness that comes from the left hand controls.

In the process of fixing the wire, I noticed the solenoid behind the turn signal switch. I cannot find it on the wiring diagram in the Clymers manual. My questions are this: what activates this solenoid? Where is this (rather redundant looking) turn signal control unit?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I added some cheapo/generic turn signals to my VN700, and after a bit of troubleshooting, found a broken wire in the harness that comes from the left hand controls.

In the process of fixing the wire, I noticed the solenoid behind the turn signal switch. I cannot find it on the wiring diagram in the Clymers manual. My questions are this: what activates this solenoid? Where is this (rather redundant looking) turn signal control unit?
The unit is mounted on the battery box. Remove the left cover and look at the back of the box beside the flasher unit. The control unit activates the solenoid when the speedo measures a certian distance and cancels the signal.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Though I made such a fuss about the safety switches, the automatic turn signal cancel unit is totally useless. It either cancels too soon or too late. My wife's bike has one and I disabled it. So if yours does not work, never mind.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Though I made such a fuss about the safety switches, the automatic turn signal cancel unit is totally useless. It either cancels too soon or too late. My wife's bike has one and I disabled it. So if yours does not work, never mind.
I did think it was broken, but it seems it does work - sometimes. But just like you said, it cancels too soon, or too late. Or not at all in some circumstances.

I guess it was a pretty cool feature for a bike built in the mid 80's. Like most things on the bike, overly complicated for what it needs to do, though.

·
new owner
79 Posts
Would this be on all vlucans (92)? Right now my bike does not cancel the turn signels. I would be interested in seeing if it works (good or bad) if i have one. It seems most here do not think they work, but I am of a mind to chcek it out if I have one (repair or fix it sinec its not working, even if i unhook it once its done).

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Would this be on all vlucans (92)? Right now my bike does not cancel the turn signels. I would be interested in seeing if it works (good or bad) if i have one. It seems most here do not think they work, but I am of a mind to chcek it out if I have one (repair or fix it sinec its not working, even if i unhook it once its done).
Only on 85'-88'. :beerchug:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts