Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
4 plugs, 4 qts oil, oil filter about $ 20. Don't know anything about the stock air filters as I don't have them.

Someone else can help out with that.

If you are up to pulling the back tire off, I'd check the rear splines for certain too.

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
What about the cost for plugs and wires? What is a good brand to buy?
I included the 4 plugs in the above $ 20.

You shouldn't need wires unless they are really brittle and cracked.

Jon

·
2,528 Posts
You could get 4 irridium plugs, oil and a filter for $20?? WOW, where at?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
You could get 4 irridium plugs, oil and a filter for $20?? WOW, where at?
"Don't need irridium plugs...just go with the NGK regular. change every two years ..way better off and cheaper"

I found no appreciable difference using the iridium's, wouldn't bother spending the extra money again for them.

Jon

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I have found considerable difference between the two plugs.

Faster starts Hot and cold

Increased Power

Better fuel milage

Quicker reving

More complete burning of fuel in the combustion chamber

IMO Irridiums are worth their weight in Irridium!! I will not go back to standard plugs.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I have found considerable difference between the two plugs.

Faster starts Hot and cold

Increased Power

Better fuel milage

Quicker reving

More complete burning of fuel in the combustion chamber

IMO Irridiums are worth their weight in Irridium!! I will not go back to standard plugs.
X2-And so much that I am considering going to the iridiums in the car & truck (Ouch)...

·
2,528 Posts
"Don't need irridium plugs...just go with the NGK regular. change every two years ..way better off and cheaper"

I found no appreciable difference using the iridium's, wouldn't bother spending the extra money again for them.

Jon
Saw they were listed in your signature, I also use them an think they make a difference also. Better hot starts, fuel milage, overall just a better plug.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
20 bucks 4 quarts of oil cost 20 bucks if im lucky.... then everything else to boot....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had both plugs in for a season each..I saw nothing in the way of the overpriced hyped up irridium plugs being better..I have never had a problem HOT starting with regular ngk plugs, fires right up everytime, gas mileage between both, I never noticed a difference, the only difference I saw was that my wallet was lighter using the irridium.

I have spoken to several bike mech and an engineer about plugs, I have been told that the design of our engines and electrical system(ignition), is an old design, that does not take advantage of the the purpose of irridium plugs.When a stock engine is given a fresh set of spark plugs, peak efficiency is restored. The power gains that come from this restored state of tune are minimal. Any company that tells you that their spark plug will provide significant gains in power in a stock engine are making statements that may not be supportable.

The main reason for these plugs is that you can have extened tune up times, you know the 100,00 mile plugs/tune ups that the marketing people use when trying to sell the vehicles.

Buy since our plugs are so easily accessable and the performance gains of these plugs
for our stock bikes is questionable at best.. unless your adding another 50-75 hp.
the clear choice is the standard ngk... Also that wire is so fine on the iridiums when you need to gap, if you bend or disrupt it in anyway, then all bets are off the table.

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
...I have spoken to several bike mech and an engineer about plugs, I have been told that the design of our engines and electrical system(ignition), is an old design, that does not take advantage of the the purpose of irridium plugs.When a stock engine is given a fresh set of spark plugs, peak efficiency is restored. .
Fresh plugs only last so long being "Fresh" ....Iridium plugs by their design maintain that "freshness" longer than regular plugs. Your mechs and engineers are loading BS at you , because the very reason they say iridium plugs are not good for the Vulcan happens to be the exact reason they are.

Our igintion system is rather weak and it is a matter of simple physics that the iridium plugs put out a hotter spark per volt than standard plugs. Which is something the Vulcan sadly can use.

I noticed a difference using the plugs, and no , it's not an earthshattering improvement, but given the sorry state of our electrical system , every little bit helps.

Is it worth the expence? I think it is considering how often one really needs to change the plugs....meaning not very often. My bike is important to me, and deserves the best I can do for it. Even if the improvement is very slight, it is at least an improvement.

The iridium plugs come pre-gapped so there is no reason to mess with them, if you are clumsy enough to **** one up, it ain't the plugs fault, it yours.

If you constantly change your plugs so you have "Fresh" plugs in the engine, putting your money on a set of iridiums would of course be silly. But then, you likely are ending up spending more on plugs than if you bought the iridiums in the first place.
I should also point out that NGK does not make any claims that their plugs
"will provide significant gains in power "...most of the claims I have read are from members on this and other forums, mostly that the bike seems "crisper" and starts easier.

So, if hundreds of folks say they notice an improvement in the way their bike runs after installing the iridium plugs, (even if very slight) I think I would tend to follow that ... and not one or two reports saying they did not notice any difference at all.

Sorry,

KM

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
X2-And so much that I am considering going to the iridiums in the car & truck (Ouch)...
I should have mentioned that the NGK Platinum plugs they replaced were only about 6 mo. old, (I didn't want to spend the extra money either) and the Iridiums made a good bit of difference in starting, running, idling and all...:)...
As per KM's post--"The iridium plugs come pre-gapped so there is no reason to mess with them, if you are clumsy enough to **** one up, it ain't the plugs fault, it yours."--Yep, done that, only cost me $7 to learn, and no I didn't question whose fault it was, I knew as quick as the little electrode popped off...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
D2u
175 Posts
Where to buy the irridium plugs? I paid like $17 for 4 quarts of valvoline motorcycle oil, and $7 for my fram oil filter.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Where to buy the irridium plugs? I paid like $17 for 4 quarts of valvoline motorcycle oil, and $7 for my fram oil filter.
I bought my iridium plugs at Advance auto parts @ about $7 ea...
[Edit]---BTW---I am afraid of Fram oil filters, I won't use them, I think one probably caused my oil pressure problem with my 03 VN750...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
D2u
175 Posts
Thank you for info on plugs....

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I paid a little less than $6.50 for the plugs at O'Riley Auto Parts. Got my Super Tech filter at Wal Mart for around $2.50. Bought 5 quarts of automotive Mobil 1 synthetic 10W40 for $26.00.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts