Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a 1985 750 vulcan...i have never owned a motorcycle and know nothing about them....last night i was riding and the tube started leaking something leaving a clear path behind me....any ideas on what this is? and how to fix it?

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Which tube? Can you post some pics of what is leaking? Could be gas, oil, or coolant, each of which has a different smell or feel. More detail, please.

And unless someone swapped motors, the '85 was a 700cc. If your motor is black, it's probably a 700.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i just learned it a coolant reservoir overflow and that it was probably to full.....also now this morning when i press in the clutch the bike wont turn over

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
Have you tried starting it in neutral? Are you sure the kill switch (right handlebar) is in the Run position? Clutch safety switch may be bad.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Which tube? Can you post some pics of what is leaking? Could be gas, oil, or coolant, each of which has a different smell or feel. More detail, please.

And unless someone swapped motors, the '85 was a 700cc. If your motor is black, it's probably a 700.
Hey fc, it is only a 700cc if it was imported to the US in 85.

Elsewhere in the world all `85 models were 750cc.

An OEM black engine is indiction of an `85 model, 700 or 750 cc.:motorcycl Just saying.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
well i just learned it a coolant reservoir overflow and that it was probably to full.....also now this morning when i press in the clutch the bike wont turn over
Welcome to the Vulcan madness.

Is the engine kill switch in the run position? You wouldn`t be the first one to to forget to check that. lol

Check battery voltage. Slow speed riding does not generate much charging current on the bike. You might need to charge the battery. If you use an automotive charger set it no higher than 2 amps, and only leave it on at that rate for 4 or 5 hours. If you still have a standard wet cell battery, check the electrolyte level and top it up with distilled water before charging it.

Get a MF-AGM type battery ASAP, and NGK Iridium DPR7EIX-9 spark plugs for easier starting. See top ten link below.

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
Hey fc, it is only a 700cc if it was imported to the US in 85.

Elsewhere in the world all `85 models were 750cc.

An OEM black engine is indiction of an `85 model, 700 or 750 cc.:motorcycl Just saying.
You mean we're not all from Lousyana?

That's what assuming gets me. If you don't say where you're from, folks will fill in the blanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey thanks for the replies ive changed the battery and charged it...that got it going and the guy said that i was riding it for to long at a time? thats why the antifreeze overflowed im not sure about that i rode it for around 3 hours is that normal? oh lol and the guy also said its a 700 not a 750 the guy who sold it to me just slapped a 750 crome side panel on haha

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
And what motorcycle guru supplied that bit of wisdom? He's full of it BTW. I've ridden as much as nine hour in one day and it never overheated or spilled coolant. Something aint right (in addition to "the guy").

·
Registered
738 Posts
hey thanks for the replies ive changed the battery and charged it...that got it going and the guy said that i was riding it for to long at a time? thats why the antifreeze overflowed im not sure about that i rode it for around 3 hours is that normal? oh lol and the guy also said its a 700 not a 750 the guy who sold it to me just slapped a 750 crome side panel on haha
The 'guy' is full of BS. You should be able to ride all day without overflowing the coolant system. Mine has never overflowed from the radiator to the reserve tank, nor should it unless there is a problem or extreme conditions (i.e., stop-n-go traffic in 100+ degree heat). It sounds like you might have something wrong with the coolant system; blockage, bad thermostat, bad cap, etc. Check the cap to see if the spring or gasket is damaged, flush and replace the thermostat, etc.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The 'guy' is full of BS. You should be able to ride all day without overflowing the coolant system. Mine has never overflowed from the radiator to the reserve tank, nor should it unless there is a problem or extreme conditions (i.e., stop-n-go traffic in 100+ degree heat). It sounds like you might have something wrong with the coolant system; blockage, bad thermostat, bad cap, etc. Check the cap to see if the spring or gasket is damaged, flush and replace the thermostat, etc.
Chris, I`m not sure if you wrote exactly what you meant to say, BUT the cooling system is designed to "overflow" into the reserve tank as the engine heats up. As the system cools, liquid flows back past the radiator cap to keep it full.

IF the reserve tank overflows onto the ground, then there is a problem.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Chris, I`m not sure if you wrote exactly what you meant to say, BUT the cooling system is designed to "overflow" into the reserve tank as the engine heats up. As the system cools, liquid flows back past the radiator cap to keep it full.

IF the reserve tank overflows onto the ground, then there is a problem.
Correct, the coolant system is designed to "overflow" into the reserve tank, IF the pressure in the coolant system exceeds the specs set for the coolant cap (usually about 15PSI on an auto, not sure what the VN750 is set at). That pressure is there to help increase the boiling point about 45F (at 15PSI) and prevent overflow (antifreeze also raises the boiling point to about 230F for a 50/50 mix). Also, correct that the liquid is pulled back into the coolant system due to the vacuum created during cooling. However, I was correct that the coolant system should NOT overflow under normal conditions. Coolant system overflow indicates overheating or other problem such as a failed component in the radiator cap (weakening spring or leaking gasket).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts