Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the front Master cylinder. Wife's bike has a front brake prob. I think the fluid return is plugged. How hard is it to find the return hole when doing a rebuild?

T

·
Hoser
118 Posts
Front brake problem is what exactly? Assuming the front brakes are dragging or locked and you have already checked the calipers for free travel and your brake pads are wearing evenly and the fluid is reasonably fresh, (lots of assumptions required when no info is given and no logical progression thru diagnostics)....

There is a tiny return hole in the master cylinder at the bottom that is easily plugged by debris, and can't even be seen sometimes when things get dirty. Remove the master cylinder and strip it completely, take off the hoses, calipers, etc, and completely disassemble them. Blow it all clean with brake parts cleaner until nothing but clean fluid comes off onto a white towel. Reassemble with new parts as required, bleed and ride.

The whole process is really easy and takes just a few hours, and a few bucks. You could probably just get by with the m/c, but why take a chance with the most critical system on the bike?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The system is not allowing fluid to return to the M/C. I have a rebuild kit and was wondering where the return hole is located. My guess is that the little hole is plugged and won't let the pressure off .

T

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The system is not allowing fluid to return to the M/C. I have a rebuild kit and was wondering where the return hole is located. My guess is that the little hole is plugged and won't let the pressure off .

T
It is a small hole in the master cylinder, that when the lever is released it allows the fluid to return into the reservewar. Cleaning and rebuilding the m/c is the best solution.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I change my brake fluid once a year, on a bike I bought new, and have had no brake problems in 70,000 miles. I have never had a VN750 master cylinder apart, but am assuming they are just like any other Japanese master cylinder. Once you get it apart, and get all the rubber and plastic parts off, you can clean it with brake parts cleaner, and use a small E string from a guitar to clean out the return passage if you suspect it is plugged up. You could also try spray brake parts cleaner with a straw, or compressed air. But I have been using the guitar string to clean small passages for decades, and have never messed anything up yet. I started using one on carburetors back in the '70s, a motorcycle mechanic told me about it.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I use a wire brush strand, but I am going to get some guitar wire from my son. Good idea jerry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got the thing apart....finally. That freaking c clip was a nightmare to get out...and then I had to get the cover off. Sure one bolt unscrewed no problem...the other one, well, I had to use power tools...the drillpress to drill the head off. I went easy and managed to get the old bolt out without going crazy. I just need a new bolt now. I looked inside and sure enough, that return whole looked clogged solid. I am right now looking at my 12 string guitar and looking at an extra long string end....

I'll keep all informed.....

T:lockd:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got the little sucker put back together. Little bubbles came out of both the holes in the bottom. I will try and bleed the air out tomorrow...the swmbo told me no more working today....

T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts